engine leak? HELP 02v6coupe

dtraill27

Reaction score
okay so im walking out to my car today and i notice there is brown stuff splattered on my front bumper passenger side. i look to see what it is because i just cleaned the car yesterday so i was annoyed. i noticed that whatever it was dripped on to the ground and there is some liquid on the inside of my bumper. i pop the hood and see a brown liquid that almost looks like soda on the right side of the engine. i start the car and it runs normal. i took it for a drive and didnt hear any strange noises, it reved normal, and no lights came on. i think it looked like i used more gas than normal and my engine was a little hotter than normal but this could just be me being paranoid. becuase it was a brown liquid i thought it might be my oil but i checked that and the level is fine. do you guys have any ideas or should i take it somewhere to get it checked out. i took some pics 3 are more for location and the one shows the liquid.

0322091753.jpg

0322091753a.jpg

0322091753b.jpg

0322091753c.jpg

dtraill27

Reaction score
thats what it looks like. im thinking its the power steering fluid (dirty as hell). the reservoir is right there with the red cap and the fluid in it just above the min line. the two smell identical too. i just though it was weird that i didnt notice any difference in steering if it is the case. im praying its just the hose and not the pump. guess i gotta take it somewhere tomorrow and see whats up =[

dtraill27

Reaction score
well it spent all day at a honda shop and they havent determined the cause yet. they said its something they dont see very often and might be related to the pump. they said once they cleaned the engine bay and took it for a drive there wasnt additional leakage?? who knows but im a little worried. they found some leakage back by the transmission too. hopefully its not the dreaded tranny death i seriously doubt it is considering where the fluid was inside of the engine and i was able to drive the car without an issue shifting. they are going to look at it more tomorrow hopefully this isnt going to be too expensive or serious.

xi0utlawstarix. is that a possibility?

people over on DA dont give a **** becuase its not a ****ing 8th gen can you guys help

xi0utlawstarix

Reaction score
sorry bro, im not an expert just speaking from experience. i had fluid in the same location and traced it back to the motor mount. Ask them to take a look at the motor mount.

maybe other members could chime in on this :squintwave:

dtraill27

Reaction score
im fearing power steering rack. i told them to look at the mount after your post yesterday though. were feeling confident on the power steering becuase the fluid is low in the reservoir. maybe it was just low before hand. idk. wouldnt you think it would drive differently and have a light on if it was the mount?

and does anyone know how much a power steering rack could run me?

thanks for at least attempting for some help

dtraill27

Reaction score
the shop hasnt decided yet. said they really havent seen something like this. they thing something with the pump malfunctioned and overfilled the reservoir. and it came through my bumper because there was so much in the engine that it started flowing downward. hopefully theyll get it figured out or else i gotta head to the stealership.

mraw112

Reaction score
check the motor mount first. then clean the mess, and fill up the power steering fluid to full again. turn your wheel or take it for a drive. If it doesnt happen again, its probably the motor mount.

dtraill27

Reaction score
motor mount apparently seems fine. car is not leaking after clean up. power steering fluid is still fine. the shop didnt know what the cause was. i guess i just have to monitor it and see what happens. dont feel like spending 80 bucks to get a diaganosis at honda and get the same result i did from the shop. i just dont like not knowing what caused it. im afraid im going to be driving and my power steering is just gonna fail while im driving. its deffinitly related to the power steering. my guess is malfunction pump? anyone want to chime in

Back