engine overheat. effects on engine and performance?

Bullet99

Reaction score
need your help guys! my car overheated, found out that the radiator gave up and had a crack about 5inches at the top portion. i replaced the radiator, no temperature problems since then.

Since i have little knowledge on cars, and considering myself as a newbie, appreciate if you can advise me what other effects overheating may have done on my engine? i just noticed that there is a power struggle since then. before, i experience an increased power at around 2,5-3k rpm. was my engine or vtec engagement affected because of this?

appreciate your input! thanks!

eolife22

Reaction score
depends,were u driving the car after u found out it was over heating or did u immediately park the car up ?

Akingkhan

Reaction score
If ur car overheated you might have damaged several internal parts.
Rings, cylinder walls, head gasket, the head, water pump, & even the block
What's the car doing now ie. smoking, burning oil, oil lookin like spoiled milk, u said it feels weaker. So I would check the car more often for any of those things
Also start thinking about a rebuild, swap, or another vehicle
Good luck

Bullet99

Reaction score
If ur car overheated you might have damaged several internal parts.
Rings, cylinder walls, head gasket, the head, water pump, & even the block
What's the car doing now ie. smoking, burning oil, oil lookin like spoiled milk, u said it feels weaker. So I would check the car more often for any of those things
Also start thinking about a rebuild, swap, or another vehicle
Good luck

the smoke seems normal, are you talking about excessive smoking on the exhaust? i will check the oil. it didnt actually overheated while running, i just noticed that the temperature was going up, i went as high as the top line, but didnt really smoke while driving, i immediately parked it and let it cool off.. your thoughts?
also, i think the gas consumption is a bit excessive now, is it because of this?

001Stunna

Reaction score
If i may ask...why did you let it go all the way to the HOT mark??? Our cars usually stay slightly about less then half on the temp gauge. Any higher then that should've been a tell-tale sign for you to pull over...not ride it until it went on full hot.

As others have said for the next little while keep monitoring the oil/coolant levels and color/appearance. Any milky appearance would indicate a headgasket issue(usually the main issue that comes from overheating)

Bullet99

Reaction score
If i may ask...why did you let it go all the way to the HOT mark??? Our cars usually stay slightly about less then half on the temp gauge. Any higher then that should've been a tell-tale sign for you to pull over...not ride it until it went on full hot.

As others have said for the next little while keep monitoring the oil/coolant levels and color/appearance. Any milky appearance would indicate a headgasket issue(usually the main issue that comes from overheating)

I didnt notice that the temp was that high, i was driving the highway, when I reached the toll, it was already almost on the top... thank you for the advise guys, will check on the fluids and see if any of the indicators you said are showing

mrnude

Reaction score
you should be fine when I replaced my water pump my car was overheating and it almost reached the top line before I parked it.

f23accord2000

Reaction score
you should be fine .ive overheated my car like 7 times on the way to NYC do to 3 different bad thermostats.and this was 4 yrs ago and its been fine ever since no oil mixing radiator is fine and water pump .be advised dont use aftermarket thermostats use only oem

Back