Engine Overheating - All out of ideas, please help!

v3rg3

Reaction score
Ok, my '98 coupe (4 cyl) starting overheating 2 weeks ago. When I pop open my hood after it overheating, it is wet right around where the bottom radiator hose hooks up to the thermostat. I change the hose first. Works fine for 2 days, and overheats in city driving. I then test the fan relay, and it works. Next I replace the thermostat with the factory OEM part (180 F, not the 170 F thermostat). I run my car with A/C on, hood open to observe. After about 15 min., fan comes on. SO..I assume that's working fine. This replaced thermostat gives me 2 days of good driving, and overheats again in city driving. Oh ya, let me also add that after all changes, I drain and refill the coolant and bleed air, and there is no "milky" sign of coolant in the engine oil. Please, if you have any other ideas...

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
ur head gasket is prob going, which is why u see the milky mix of oil and coolant... but tht has nothing to do with the overheating tho.... seems like ur fan, fan switch, and thermostat works... does it overheat when driving on the freeway or when the car is moving? I am guessing it's the water pump.....

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
possible water pump...

do our cars have a coolant temp sensor? i assume they do...although the fans come on at the appropriate time and the car still starts...

v3rg3

Reaction score
ur head gasket is prob going, which is why u see the milky mix of oil and coolant... but tht has nothing to do with the overheating tho.... seems like ur fan, fan switch, and thermostat works... does it overheat when driving on the freeway or when the car is moving? I am guessing it's the water pump.....

There is actually no milky mix of oil and coolant. The car overheats under all conditions, freeway, city, idle. I would also think it's the water pump, but the only reason why I have not is that the water pump is on the driver side of the engine, and the leak is clearly spewing from the passenger side. So I guess my next question is, "Is there any way to get a leak spewing from my bottom radiator hose/thermostat area, IF my water pump is the problem?"

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

finch13

Reaction score
By the water pump going I think he means the fins have worn down and are no longer pumping enough water through the block. When was the last time the timing belt was replaced? the water pump was likely (and should've been) replaced along with it since it's right there anyways.

Also, bad radiator caps can send too much coolant into the reservoir and not enough back, letting air into the system.

DrocCa89

Reaction score
I agree with finch your radiator cap seem good but it cant hold pressure as a new one can. If you know someone that can pressure test your cap go for it...if your cap holds pressure its not the cap

v3rg3

Reaction score
Oh, I forgot a piece of information. I also replaced the radiator cap with a new one when I replaced the thermostat. As far as the timing belt and water pump goes, I bought this car from a guy I didn't really know about a year ago, so I really can't say if they've been replaced recently. It's looking like I'm gonna have to get in there soon, as that seems to be the most popular next step.

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
the water pump/timing belt is usually done at 80-100k miles...so unless you bought it with like 110k or more...i'd say theres a good chance it hasn't been replaced...if it's at 160k it probably has been done...but there is still a chance that it hasn't....just less chance with higher mileage...also you can tell by how the previous owner took care of the car...if it looks clean and maintained...it probably has been done...

Back