engine sputter/stuttering rough

nuffced

Reaction score
Maybe I can help as I just went thru all this stumblin sputterin running rough.
I think things were a combination of things but it all started with oil coming up into the the distributor, (note it was not leaking from the o-ring on the dist that causes an external leak)the seal inside the dist was bad and the oil caused the engine to misfire.
Replaced the distributor and it ran just OK I knew the plugs needed changed, week later misfire came back with a vengeance, changed spark plugs they were well worn 100k sputtering and misfires continued cel codes p0302 p0303p 0304 p0300 p1399. I thought my plug wires, BOSCH, were good but I was sure it was an ignition problem, not an IAC EGR or other sensors. So I went and bought NGK wires.
Problem solved car runs great, passes diagnostics test gives zero codes PASS!
Lessons learned use OE type NGK V power spark plugs make sure the gap is correct 0.44,
OE Honda or quality wires NGK are expensive but worth every penny, I have a new distributor from O'Reilly hopefully it will be OK until I get the round to repairing the seal in the original dist, then it is going back in.
After reading all the horror stories on all the Honda the forums about misfires I would avoid all other makes of plugs and wires. I use OE and NGK :)

Last edited:

nuffced

Reaction score
1999 Honda Accord 4 door EX AT 225,215 all stock original engine and trans, trans no problems engine internals no problems. Two timing belts and one water pump routine maintenance. Oil change every 4,000 miles

Back