engine stand and hoist

EnjoiPugs

Reaction score
I am getting ready to swap the engine out of my car. I have been looking at engine stands and hoists, but there are a lot of options. Is there a certain one or type you would recommend? I was thinking I could just rent the hoist, but if I could find a cheap one I might just buy it.

And is there anything else I am going to need to do the swap?

finch13

Reaction score
I would pass on the stand if you're not building the motor and just rent the hoist. Just pick up a wood pallet (practically given away at some places) and set it down on the pan.

EnjoiPugs

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I wanted to buy a stand since I plan to rebuild the old motor. For learning purposes and just to fix it. I was looking to get a cheap one. I guess I was looking to find out if quality is a big deal in these things. I think for now tho I will wait and use the pallet idea. Where would I go about renting a hoist from?

The turbo is ready to go, besides getting my downpipe fixed, it's all done and ready to be put in. I just need to replace the engine.

Can you point me to a good site with information on removing the engine. I have the haynes manual, but I can't find anything in it about removing the engine.

mraw112

Reaction score
You can get a stand off craigslist for pretty cheap. rebuilding an engine with out a stand sucks. As for an engine hoist. I always borrow my neighbors. His is a ramco I think. I like to set engines an old tire. If you put the sump in the middle of the tire, it makes pulling the transmission off easier because its in the air, and it makes the whole engine more level. Youll probably just have to remove the intake penluem. Try to do it with out taking off the whole intake manifold, because that is a pain in the as$. You might as well remove the header to, because its easy, and will give you more room. Also, REMEMBER to drain all you fluids well. Remove the freon form your car at night so your neighbors dont complain. the freon escaping is pretty cool. Its pretty loud, and can make a pretty good could to. Becareful not the let any freon spary on you.

EnjoiPugs

Reaction score
Hmm, I'll look at craigslist then. I didn't know you had to let the freon out. I thought you could leave it in there while pulling the engine. I really need to find a place with the procedure so I can figure out everything that needs to be removed. What all needs to be disconnected? And what about the transmission?

mraw112

Reaction score
Well I guess you could take the ac off the engine, and leave it in the bay connected to the lines, but that takes away some fun. The transmission comes out with the engine. Heres how I would do it.
-remove the hood.
-drain oil, coolant, power steering.
-remove all plugs on the wiring harness off the engine
-remove the intake plenum, disconect fuel lines from the fuel rain. and remove the header.
-disconnect all hoses.
-remove the axles.
-move or remove anything left connected to the engine or that would get in the way of it coming out.
-disconnect the front and rear motor mount.
-attach the engine hoist to the engine, and lift till the chain is tightened
-remove the side engine mounts.
- have some one move the engine around/ spot, while some one jacks up the engine.

remember to keep all bolts and nuts organized.

jaxaccord

Reaction score
Well I guess you could take the ac off the engine, and leave it in the bay connected to the lines, but that takes away some fun. The transmission comes out with the engine. Heres how I would do it.
-remove the hood.
-drain oil, coolant, power steering.
-remove all plugs on the wiring harness off the engine
-remove the intake plenum, disconect fuel lines from the fuel rain. and remove the header.
-disconnect all hoses.
-remove the axles.
-move or remove anything left connected to the engine or that would get in the way of it coming out.
-disconnect the front and rear motor mount.
-attach the engine hoist to the engine, and lift till the chain is tightened
-remove the side engine mounts.
- have some one move the engine around/ spot, while some one jacks up the engine.

remember to keep all bolts and nuts organized.

Yes, this is a good order to follow, and you really need to take your time and organize your pieces/parts, employ the baggie system. I just did my h22 swap being slow and organized helped out alot...GL with the swap..
and p.s. Craigslist is awesome, I was running into a issue with the engine hoist, I just couldn't find one to rent, and my buddies were lending theirs out already, so I jumped on craigslist and found one for $75...can't hurt to look for a deal!

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
Just be cautious when disconnection the refrigerant lines. You MUST discharge the lines before you disconnect them from the compressor or the coils (or enjoy a blast to the face). To do this, simply unscrew the cap from either the high side discharge (small line) or the low side suction (large line), wrap a towel around the handle (and wear thick gloves) of a small screwdriver to push the Schrader valve in. It is VERY possible to get frostbite from the R-134a (Freon is actually R-12). Then, use a crescent wrench to disconnect the lines from the compressor and to the coils at the firewall. Snake the lines out of the engine bay (you may need to remove the battery and/or intake box to do this). While doing the swap, plug the line at the firewall and the ports on the compressor with paper towels or tape. One grain of sand and you can say bye bye to cold A/C. Also a good idea to wrap the ends of the lines as well.

Sorry, I've been working with food processing plant refrigeration at work all week and needed to get that out of my system. Mmm... 450hp compressors and 4" high side discharge lines :D

Back