Erratic throttle when accelerating

fdsa487

Reaction score
It happens mostly when it's cold. I put the car in drive and hit the gas and the rpm jumps all around and the then it shifts into second. It seems to
Shift fine it just like it doesn't accelerate thru the rpm range smoothly. It mostly does it when cold.

99 accord ex vtec ulev 4 cyl 197,000 miles automatic

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You realize you answered your own question?

Take it easy when the car is cold and give it time to warm up.

001Stunna

Reaction score
It happens mostly when it's cold. I put the car in drive and hit the gas and the rpm jumps all around and the then it shifts into second. It seems to
Shift fine it just like it doesn't accelerate thru the rpm range smoothly. It mostly does it when cold.

99 accord ex vtec ulev 4 cyl 197,000 miles automatic

through the rpm range? why are you accelerating through the rpm range when cold? it can shift fine at about ~2000rpm ...especially with it being cold

fdsa487

Reaction score
I let it warm up for a bit and when I say "through the rpm range" I mean I'm just accelerating like a normal human and I'm not gunning it or anything. It seems maybe a throttle positioning sensor? IDK... Umm I recently replaced the thermostat because it was stuck open

001Stunna

Reaction score
I let it warm up for a bit and when I say "through the rpm range" I mean I'm just accelerating like a normal human and I'm not gunning it or anything. It seems maybe a throttle positioning sensor? IDK... Umm I recently replaced the thermostat because it was stuck open

Try some things
-press on the gas pedal a few times before u start the car to possibly free any frozen parts
-use an obd2 live reader and check what tp(throttle position) shows throughout the pedals movement. It should rise steady from ~10% when not touching the pedal to ~90% when at full pedal to the ground.
-have you been maintaining the tranny and keeping up with fluid drain and refills.
-did you properly bleed the system after changing the thermostat.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
always let your car warm up and let the rpm's fall down to 1k-under when its really cold outside. then drive it easy to let the transmission warm up. that will at least help in the future with things. :thumbsup: could be your IACV as well, that will eradicate your throttle response as well. also, i took levin's advice and put my denso first bank o2 sensor back in and threw the chinese one away that i bought from ebay, and my engine doesn't sputter as much. i've been told that if that o2 sensor is crap your car will run like trash. correct me if im wrong anyone. anyways, hope this helps a little.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
I'm bad with diagnostics. So I won't be a help

But I let my car warm up for 5-10 minutes every day (winter) and for the first few minutes I'll still get kinda erratic, rough shifting. I chalk that up to the tranny being cold. Just something for you to compare to.

Back