F23A1 Compression Results Sad Day

redlinevtec

Reaction score
Just got back my compression results. Here they are enjoy!
Cylinder 1: 140
Cylinder 2: 80
Cylinder 3: 110
Cylinder 4: 170

Engine is shot, anyone who read my last thread read that my car was idling horribly when in Drive or Reverse. Well I found out what the problem was. My engine took a poop. I had an H22 but that was stolen so that's outta the question. I don't have the money to buy another. So now I'm looking for another F23A1. The shop wants to charge me for a complete engine overhaul of $3000!

Anyone know where I can get a decent deal on an F23A1 in SoCal? Another problem is installing the engine myself since I don't have a crane or the tools in Cali. Need an F23A1 fast! I'm afraid of all those used F23A1's with 100k+ miles since they are probably burning tons of oil as well. Any suggestions?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Just because your compression is low does not mean you need a complete engine overhall. You do however, need to disassemble the engine. Start by doing a compression test again on cylinder 2, this time pour oil into the cylinder. About 2 cap fulls of oil. Then do the test again, this will temporarely seal the rings.

If compression raises, then you have a bad, likely cracked ring.

If compression does not rise, then you have something wrong with the head. It could be something as easy as a gummed up, stuck valve. Check your valve train too with the valve cover off.

Im hoping that its something along those lines...you need to know where the leak is coming from first. You may only need to buy a block or a new head.

Good luck

SN95GTMustang

Reaction score
Just because your compression is low does not mean you need a complete engine overhall. You do however, need to disassemble the engine. Start by doing a compression test again on cylinder 2, this time pour oil into the cylinder. About 2 cap fulls of oil. Then do the test again, this will temporarely seal the rings.

If compression does not rise, then you have something wrong with the head. It could be something as easy as a gummed up, stuck valve. Check your valve train too with the valve cover off.

Im hoping that its something along those lines...you need to know where the leak is coming from first. You may only need to buy a block or a new head.

Good luck

+2

Dont know if its a common problem with honda at all but with chrysler it happens all the time with the valves sticking. Either a nasty good de-carb or head job could take care of the problem.

Steverino

Reaction score
If you can BORROW an engine hoist, you can replace the engine in your car with most simple hand tools in about a weekend's time, maybe 2 weekends since it's your first try.

OR get a jack that can go extremely high; raise the car and leave the subframe with axles and engine on the ground.

Keep checking junkyards, I'm sure they'll have something. Used F23A1 with under 60k miles can be had in my area for $250 CAD.

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score

Good luck

my brother and room ate are mechs and they both said exactly right...ballin....u shld def look into this no doubt

99accord boi

Reaction score
so my fist diagnosis was right
sorry to hear that man
if u havent found ur engine text me and ill give u the names oof a bunch of junkyards in sandiego

redlinevtec

Reaction score
so my fist diagnosis was right
sorry to hear that man
if u havent found ur engine text me and ill give u the names oof a bunch of junkyards in sandiego

yep, it's all good man. San Diego is to far lol. OC or LA is better. i'm looking at a jdm engine for pretty cheap. i don't want to inherit someone else problems from a junk yard with low compression or a warped head or block unless someone else on here is selling one in good working order.

Back