F23a1 / k20a3 /f22a6 lon term built

willeonard

Reaction score
Hi guys, im planning on a built i'll start this winter but i need a little help to have the best combo for my budget.

I plan to do the built in two step:

Step 1:
-f23a1 block/crank/rods
-k20a3 pistons (comp. bump to 11.45:1cr )
-f23a1 vtec head stock
-Short ram intake
-4-2-1 headers

Step 2:
-head swap for f22a6
-bisimoto lvl 2 cam regrind
-h23 intake manifold/trottle body
-acura rdx 410cc injectors
-4-2-1 headers + SRI
-2,25 in exhaust
-p06 ECU tuned + obd1 harness convertion

BUT i have a problem..
I'll run maybe a year with the step 1 setup.. but i dont have the money to tune it twice, so will i be able to run the high comp. pistons with 94 octane gas on the stock ECU?? Or i should just mill the head and keep the f23 pistons???

Just need info on what's the best for my budget and my engine. Thanks!

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Buy a 2nd block, buy the other parts needed for build, build it in your spare time. Tune it once. No sense in spending the $$ 3x over what you need to.

willeonard

Reaction score
yeah, but to complicate everything, the f23a5 that is in my accord right now is on the way out, he's not gonna last very long.. so i got to drop my other f23a1, rebuilt, and later im just gonna swap the head (setup 2). I simply want to know if i can run the k20 pistons in the stock block with no tune and swap the head later and tune it (my target is around 200whp) OR if its not possible without a tune my budget will not allow me to run the k20's so my build would be f23 stock bottom end with the f22a6 head and everything else..

"Buy a 2nd block, buy the other parts needed for build, build it in your spare time. Tune it once. No sense in spending the $$ 3x over what you need to. " i got no money for a second block buddy, and swapping it 2 times?? not worth the extra effort..

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
yeah, but to complicate everything, the f23a5 that is in my accord right now is on the way out, he's not gonna last very long.. so i got to drop my other f23a1, rebuilt, and later im just gonna swap the head (setup 2). I simply want to know if i can run the k20 pistons in the stock block with no tune and swap the head later and tune it (my target is around 200whp) OR if its not possible without a tune my budget will not allow me to run the k20's so my build would be f23 stock bottom end with the f22a6 head and everything else..

What's wrong with the F23a5?

Essentially you could run the K20 pistons with maybe a street tune as long as you use higher octane gas (91 or better). Then do the head swap later. Or just swap in the F23 and build it later, if you can afford a couple days down time for whatever machine work might be necessary.

willeonard

Reaction score
The a5 have some serious compression / oil leak / oil pistons ring problem loll .. But waht do you mean by street tune? And the main reason i ask these questions is because when the swap will be done, i dont want to have to RErebuild the block.. If i can go with the k20's, the will stay there until i complete the head swap, if not there will be f23 pistons and it will stai a stock block. (Im not very good in english so could you reexplain the part with the machine work? )

Last edited:
Back