f23a1 oil burn

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Huh? I know what oil rings are, but it gets 'pushed' there by air pressure, oil it may thin. I'd be worried about actual pressure and lubricity.

oakshaun

Reaction score
Especially from someone who doesn't know what oil rings are. Oil rings are the lowest ring in a piston ring pack. Usually it's made up of three separate rings. The valve stem seals are something that, if leaking, would cause the engine to burn oil and still be able to pass a compression test.

that's really what i've thought from the start was just really hoping it was something else

Craize

Reaction score
truthfully 150 psi is really the bare minimum for passing a compression test.
Usually your 180psi and above for 4cyl vtec engines.

oakshaun

Reaction score
truthfully 150 psi is really the bare minimum for passing a compression test.
Usually your 180psi and above for 4cyl vtec engines.

yes but all 4 were very consistent. 150 psi on the dot. not even off by ONE measurable psi. that's passing with the highest colors my friend.
and i read i was actually supposed to be at 117 soooo....

timoteo

Reaction score
not sure if it would help but maybe try cleaning the screen on the vtec solenoid. If the oil isnt getting through it properly then the motor would get hotter and burn oil i would think. Just a guess but who knows. Bad valve would drop oil into the combustion chamber and would burn. having oil in the combustion chanmber would could also affect your compression test results. your spark plugs didnt have oil on them did they?

oakshaun

Reaction score
not sure if it would help but maybe try cleaning the screen on the vtec solenoid. If the oil isnt getting through it properly then the motor would get hotter and burn oil i would think. Just a guess but who knows. Bad valve would drop oil into the combustion chamber and would burn. having oil in the combustion chanmber would could also affect your compression test results. your spark plugs didnt have oil on them did they?

theres a screen on my vtec solenoid? and no my plugs didn't but according to a haynes manual they all have signs of being too hot. white crust and such. oddly enough it was much worse on half of each spark plug like, one side the side facing well, idk after i spun them to get them out.

lmayoral2191

Reaction score
Try doing a leak down test, see if your getting any pressure escaping your cylinder. Hell in some cases I've seen pcv valves cause oil consumption. You can use your compression tester too do the leak down test

oakshaun

Reaction score
Try doing a leak down test, see if your getting any pressure escaping your cylinder. Hell in some cases I've seen pcv valves cause oil consumption. You can use your compression tester too do the leak down test

what's a leak down test?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Putting compressed air in a cylinder. TDC on compression/spark time

Back