Flashing CEL, TCS Indicator, Misfire Codes

soxfan50

Reaction score
Usually a flashing CEL is misfire. You would physically have to take the catalytic converter off and shine a flashlight to look at them and see if they are melted. Typically it takes prolonged driving with a misfire to do noticeable damage to the cats, so you should be fine. After the fix, if you have lack of power and poor MPG the cats may have melted.

Thanks, definitely will do.

I've averaged right around 20mpg for awhile now, mostly city driving. Does that seem about par for the course for a V6 3.0? It's always felt a bit low, but that's how it's always been for me (only owned the car since 2010). The exhaust has had a mild off/on sputtering for some time, but it was only last week that I ran into the flashing CEL, significant sputtering, and smell of raw fuel.

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Thats not bad for a v6. I average 17-20 mostly city but my transmission is on its last legs, which in turn eats up gas.
Just sort out the misfire and go from there.

soxfan50

Reaction score
Changed my mind a bit:

COP swap with 1 & 5
Plugs swap with 2 & 4

So I was just able to do this, and reset the CEL by unplugging the clock radio fuse. When I first started the car back up, the sputtering/rough idling was pretty bad.

Took it for a drive, and the CEL returned, flashing, about an 1/8 mile down the road. No TCS, not immediately, anyways. Went straight back to the AutoZone, ran another code check:

P0301
P1399

On the way home, the TCS returned. Could still smell raw fuel a bit, as well. By the time I got home (about 2 miles from AutoZone), the sputtering/rough idle was not as bad.

Any suggestions? The new code would suggest that the only issue was with the coil pack that had been in Cy. 3 - but that wouldn't explain why I got a code for Cyl. 6. I did take some pictures of the plugs that I changed (in order from original cyl.: 3, 2, 4, 6):

http://imgur.com/a/yQmyY

Last edited:

soxfan50

Reaction score
What did you put in cylinder 1?

Coil pack from cyl. 3.

So it seems obvious to replace that. But what about the initial code showing a cyl. 6 misfire? Could that have been a misread? Could it just be that I didn't drive enough after the switch/reset before running the codes?

Part of me thinks it may be worth switching out all packs/plugs - I don't know that any have ever been changed, and if I can be sure the issue isn't a part outside of those, dropping the money to replace them all of them and just be done with it seems an option.

Obviously welcome any input saying this would be stupid and approach differently.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I wouldn't do all of them. 5 of mine are still alive @ 230k. The replacement died in less than a year.

The ecm might be 'confused', idk. Fix one problem 1st, then we work on the next.

soxfan50

Reaction score
Okay. Is this a part you'd recommend only getting OEM? Or would an aftermarket replacement be suitable?

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
OEM coil packs are usually overpriced. Majestic Honda for around 55-60 bucks (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...A4AT&catcgry5=IGNITION+COIL+-+SPARK+PLUG+(V6)).

Aftermarket usually suck and will fail in a short amount of time. I do trust Denso for an aftermarket because they make some OEM plugs for manufacturers but they are about the same price http://www.amazon.com/DENSO-Nippondenso-Direct-Ignition-673-2310/dp/B008PJH8VW/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1445273102&vehicle=2000-59-751-191---6-5-16755--1-1---1-0&sr=1-2&ymm=2000%3Ahonda%3Aaccord&keywords=denso+ignition+coil.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Lol, mine was from Advance Auto, it died in warranty, so the new one is too. When (not 'if') that dies I'll go OEM.

Latest posts

Back