flashing oil light, full oil

Pizzaman

Reaction score
so i got in the car today and as soon as i started the car, the oil light came on flashing for the mile it took to get to the barbershop. got there checked it and oil is full.

changed oil monday so not dirty and not the issue. no leaks i can see.

yesterday we got like 6 inches of snow was making it up a large hill and check engine came on. scanned it and it was vtec solenoid- circuit . so assume the car didnt like being in vtec that long and needs a new solenoid.

are the issues in any way related and how to diagnose the oil light?

figure oil pump or sensor or sending unit?

i've spent 2k on this car in 2 months so i dont want to fix them all but is there anyway to know what the issue is without replacing everything? FML!!

jwong512

Reaction score
It might just be the vtec solenoid screen being clogged. The fresh oil in the motoro probably cleaned out whatever debris you had in the motor and it ran into the solenoid and clogged it up. I would check that first as it would be the cheapest alternative before jumping to oil pump and the sending unit.

Also, just curious what kind of oil viscosity are you running in this snowy weather?

Pizzaman

Reaction score
5 30 valvoline high mileage synthetic blend. it's the same i've ran in all my hondas.

price on vtec solenoid?
price on pressure sensor?

brought the car to work and parked it. driving my TL now. to scared to starve the motor if the pressure is down.

001Stunna

Reaction score
5 30 valvoline high mileage synthetic blend. it's the same i've ran in all my hondas.

price on vtec solenoid?
price on pressure sensor?

brought the car to work and parked it. driving my TL now. to scared to starve the motor if the pressure is down.

The oil pressure sensor(back of engine, above oil filter, beside knock sensor) is about $15
The whole vtec solenoid componenet is about $107. The switch alone is ~$50

I would say get under and check the oil pressure sensor and see if its been leaking at all. When my oil pressure sensor developed a leak...at start up it'd cause the oil pressure light to flash for 5-10 seconds. After replacing the sensor the issue went away.

If its not the oil pressure sensor, then check the vtec solenoid/switch. Look for leaks around it. If any leaks present you need to change its gasket(s).

For our cars often though the vtec solenoid light will come on when having low oil.

Pizzaman

Reaction score
when i cleared the code it came right back and the car wont go above 4k, so i assume there is definitely an issue with the solenoid. it doesn't have anything leaking around it, a little grime but no fresh fluid.

i guess i'll replace the oil press sensor and see if that helps

on the vtec would you think i need the switch or the whole component? is the switch the little sensor that plugs in below it?

safe to drive it? cause anything involving an oil light in honda is usually bad news....

Akingkhan

Reaction score
Yeah don't drive it till its fixed
The oil pressure sensor being bad might b sending the car in to safety mode so get that checked out 1st
Good luck :) hope that will take care of ur cel

ponglynn777

Reaction score
oil pressure sensor it the first to check, corrosion/dirt/wet/clogged are some probs...goodluck

Pizzaman

Reaction score
ordered sensor today, going to clean out vtec screen when i install the sensor. i'll check back once installed.

oil light only comes on when i first start it. it is red and stays solid for 5 seconds then goes off...

Back