Fog Light Fuse Keeps Blowing!! NEED OPINIONS/HELP!

xJx

Reaction score
Hey guys I am in need of some HELP!!!

I bought some aftermarket fog lights and wired them with a relay to a toggle switch.

My issues is that the 15 amp fuse in the line that is going to the battery keeps blowing right away after I turn the switch on.

I thought that it maybe might be my grounds from the lights because I had to splice them and make the line longer(I re-did them and made sure to use the right gauge wire)

After doing so the fuse keeps blowing right away still.

I've been searching around google and hear a lot about "shorts" but I could use some knowledge on that as well.

I'm not the best at electrical things when it comes to cars but here is a diagram I made real quick on how everything is put together.

Feel free to ask me any questions!!

THANK YOU ALL!!!

dia-1.jpg

Last edited:

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Well something is causing the fuse to blow, a short is the likely source. Something is grounding where it shouldn't be.

xJx

Reaction score
Well something is causing the fuse to blow, a short is the likely source. Something is grounding where it shouldn't be.

Thanks for your response!! I had no idea that a ground can be grounded in a bad spot. Here are some photos I took off google to show where I have my grounds at.

The one under the air intake is connected to a metal bracket underneath the intake thats connected to the body.

Are there any in wrong spots?

dia2.jpg

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Did you sand them down to bare metal?

Also I didn't mean that you've grounded them in the wrong place (it is possible though) I meant that the circuit is broken somewhere and isn't working properly.

xJx

Reaction score
Did you sand them down to bare metal?

Also I didn't mean that you've grounded them in the wrong place (it is possible though) I meant that the circuit is broken somewhere and isn't working properly.

I didn't sand down anything but I checked each spot the grounds are at with on of those voltage checkers that light up if it is a proper spot and all spots lit up.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Try sanding the grounding points down to bare metal then if you are still having problems there is a fault in your wiring harness. Also the in the second pic you posted above, move the ground you have near the fuse panel down to that brass bolt below it. The brass bolt is already a grounding point so it won't hurt to add this to it.

xJx

Reaction score
Try sanding the grounding points down to bare metal then if you are still having problems there is a fault in your wiring harness. Also the in the second pic you posted above, move the ground you have near the fuse panel down to that brass bolt below it. The brass bolt is already a grounding point so it won't hurt to add this to it.

Will do!! Thank you for your suggestions!! I really appreciate it!!

greekpizza

Reaction score
Will do!! Thank you for your suggestions!! I really appreciate it!!

Easiest way to solve this is with a meter, all you have to do is put the meter to OHMS then put one leg of the meter to a solid ground your battery or any metal in the car that is a solid ground then run the other leg to your power wire, if the meter shows a reading then theres your problem if not check to see the resistance between your ground for the foglights and a solid ground if you see a high resistance then you need to improve your connection by maybe sanding down the metal as indicated above, i suspect you have a dead short by the sound of it. GOOD LUCK!!!

xJx

Reaction score
Easiest way to solve this is with a meter, all you have to do is put the meter to OHMS then put one leg of the meter to a solid ground your battery or any metal in the car that is a solid ground then run the other leg to your power wire, if the meter shows a reading then theres your problem if not check to see the resistance between your ground for the foglights and a solid ground if you see a high resistance then you need to improve your connection by maybe sanding down the metal as indicated above, i suspect you have a dead short by the sound of it. GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks for your input. I figured out the issue yesterday! The manufacturer had the 2 metals for the light power wire and the ground inside the housing of the lights touching!!

Being a female sometimes I doubt myself when i do auto work but I was sooooo relieved to know that I didn't do anything wrong esp. knowing that wiring it wasn't that difficult!

greekpizza

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I figured out the issue yesterday! The manufacturer had the 2 metals for the light power wire and the ground inside the housing of the lights touching!!

Being a female sometimes I doubt myself when i do auto work but I was sooooo relieved to know that I didn't do anything wrong esp. knowing that wiring it wasn't that difficult!

A female who tunes her accord...........:love:

hahah glad you figured it out!

Back