fog light helpfulness

JetLife

Reaction score
Tonight i was driving and came to the conclusion i couldn't see **** in storms! i have OEM headlights that are VERY clean. no oxidization; hazing etc. my question here is do the OEM fogs help visibility a lot?\

thanks
jeff

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score
I think so, yes. But white ones, not yellow. I know it's all the rage right now and someone will say they're more effective but judge accordingly. I'll encounter fog a few times a year. Otherwise I prefer the white ones. They're brighter IMO.

Mine provide tons of side light and enough front light that I can drive with only fogs until it gets pitch black out.

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
honestly, no not really

if you're on a backroad, and you want to see stuff on the sides of the road a little better yes.

JetLife

Reaction score
I think so, yes. But white ones, not yellow. I know it's all the rage right now and someone will say they're more effective but judge accordingly. I'll encounter fog a few times a year. Otherwise I prefer the white ones. They're brighter IMO.

Mine provide tons of side light and enough front light that I can drive with only fogs until it gets pitch black out.

yeah thats what I've been hearing yellow ones are better for fog and what not. but also i have 8K hids and i feel like when theres water on the ground there not as bright as if it was dry ground:thinking:

cjsaccord

Reaction score
Yea 4k gives you much more visibility than 8k. I went to 6k for the slight blue look and I ended up going right back to 4k the same night.

JetLife

Reaction score
thanks for the advice. Yeah i would love to have a set of retros. don't have that kinda money. my friend got a set of ebay projectors and they looks really good. i was thinking about getting a set in the future

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Anything above 6k becomes useless for visibility. People always buy 8k for the blue, but don't realize the output blows.

Yellow fogs do work better when it's foggy or misty in the early morning or late night, but they also light up the road better when it's wet. When I have my fogs on I can see the reflective paint marking the lanes on the road much better. And if you get good bulbs, it helps a lot. My PIAA H3's are bright as hell.

Mikey

Reaction score
I bet 3000K hids in your fogs would be good.

I can see EVERYTHING with my 5000K HIDs. The difference between them and halogen is night and day, literally.

I'd say buy a set and go from there. Start with a standard halogen bulb then go to 3000k hid or maybe even 5000k hid.

ejreams

Reaction score
You should use 3k fog lights because it refracts less off of water, ie you it will illuminate things in front of you on the road better in the... whats that word.... oh fog or rain. lol

5.5 and 6k isn't the best idea for fogs because it refracts off of water very, well, I guess is how you'd put and it will just cause glare in fog or rain. This is why they make fog lights otherwise whats the point, you have headlights right?

Edit: huge effect on snow as well btw.

Back