Friend's tail lights dont work

ey361995

Reaction score
Hey guys. so my friend has a 99 LX V6 and his brake lights do not work. There is no brake warning light and the bulbs seem fine. We think it may be a short somewhere but don't know where to look first. Any ideas? :birgits_tiredcoffee

chaby_91

Reaction score
A short or open circuit is possible, but very unlikely. The brake switch is located behing the brake pedal. Pressing the brake pedal pushes on the switch, which closes the circuit making the brake lights illuminate.

I haven't read/heard much (if anything) about brake switch failure on our cars. Maybe it's been dislodged from it's mounting point. Good luck

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score
Could be the brake light failure switch. Located in the trunk, bolted to the wall just below your left tail light. I unplugged the harness from mine, blew in it like an N64 cartridge, and put it back in and my brake lights worked again. Hopefully you'll be as lucky as I was

KombatVirus

Reaction score
One time mine randomly stopped working. I couldnt figure out and took it to a shop. I had to take it to the shop, It turns out the brake power line went out somewhere so they jumped it, costed about 80 bucks. Hope this helps

ey361995

Reaction score
Ill check these out tommorow thanks guys, it has 226k miles on it, is there any possibility some parts just got worn out? Its kind of a beater tbh nothing would surprise me

chino581991

Reaction score
Might be your brake lamp failure sensor like others have said. If your break lights aren't working and the warning light isn't going on then it's most likely it. Happened to my car

Back