Front bumper reconstruction (also lemme know what u think)

stevent

Reaction score
but you have an 01-02, his is 98-00. His grill cutout has sharper v on the bottom.
I know. I was just showing him my semi completed project. I didn't say for him to get the same grill I got.

THE GRILL THAT STEVEN SHOWD(GOLD ONE) IZ ACTUALLY SIMILAR 2 MY CUT OUT SHAPE, BUT HIZ CAR'Z GRILL IZ STR8, THERE IZ NO v ON THE BOTTOM... WHAT CAR'Z GRILL IZ THE GOLD ONE??

The grill is from the 2nd gen tl which I mentioned to you before in either my first or second post.

98akkordLX

Reaction score
The grill is from the 2nd gen tl which I mentioned to you before in either my first or second post.[/QUOTE said:
Oops, Ma b dood. I see it.

BUT
On another note, Muhuhohohahahah. chek dis out! this is what i got dunn in the last 2 dayz.

So i uzed expanding foam(black can from home depot)
DSC00054.jpg

Then i uzed the blade from a hand saw and cut the foam in2 shape i desired
DSC00040.jpg

Then used a 50 grit sand paper and hand sanded the foam 2 a nice even finish
DSC00037.jpg

Then masked the surface using some masking tape and Layed down some fiberglass, 2-3 layers
DSC00044.jpg

Got a lil excited 2 see it coming together and cut off excess from the back after the fiberglass partially cured(about 80% cured)
DSC00053.jpg

And then figured i shud do one more layer before i trim the front excess fiberglass before i gelcoat it so i gave up for the day and planning on continuing 2moro.
Screw readymade grillz from other carz, ima make ma own damn grill. NOW YOU MAY ASK :eekwtf:, "WHYYY???"
Ans: CUZ IMA MUFUGGEN BAWLURR, THATS Y!! :andy:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what i was saying. Your own shell is going to look so much nicer. Using a premade one (unless modified) will look like a conversion and most of the time it looks really off.

98akkordLX

Reaction score
very nice

good luck!

props on the progress

Thankyuu, thankyuu... im werkin on the last layer of fiberglass today and tomorrow i will have the grill off of the bumper and all cut out in shape, will post up sum nice pics of it after putting some bondo and smoothing out the finish of it. I didnt want 2 get another car'z grill cuz i dont want 2 put something on that seems like it duznt belong. This iz coming out pretty darn diddly good!!! Pretty excited 2 see it myself after its finished and painted!! within this week i shud finish it off.

QUESTION: Should i make the grill insert removable like the coupe grills or should i mold it 2 the bumper(i dunno how good will the bond be between urethane and fiberglass so i was leaning towards a removable insert)

Last edited:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
QUESTION: Should i make the grill insert removable like the coupe grills or should i mold it 2 the bumper(i dunno how good will the bond be between urethane and fiberglass so i was leaning towards a removable insert)
I'd say removable. I really don't like how on my 02 coupe it's just molded. Not that i want to replace it, it would just look better with a distinct line. I think the same would be true on yours.

98akkordLX

Reaction score
how did u go about attachin the mesh?/

you scuff a 2inch diameter circle spot on your factory bumper wherever you want, and you mix up some bondo put a good dab on it and stick about a 3inch long piece of a wire hanger thru the bondo and let it dry, u do that at about 1-1.5 ft distancez and at every corner of the grill, and once the bondo iz hardened up, you put the grill on, feed the wire thru the grill, and bend it 2 secure the grill, i'll take sum pics of this tomorrow and you'll be able 2 tell wut im talkin about, maybe evn a video of it cuz it iz hard 2 explain. keep an eye out on this thread, i'll post it up tomorrow. and i'll post up sum progress of the top grill insert.

Back