"Function & Form" Coilovers - 6GA SPECIAL

MrLazie1

Reaction score
Re: F2 Autolife - Coilovers "Function & Form"

yup that is what i was thinking. im just coming up with the money right now. LOL going to take a while.

KnightRyder

Reaction score

anyone in Norcal have the type 1s? i want to feel how stiff they are without the dampening adjustments.

Deshon2688

Reaction score

anyone in Norcal have the type 1s? i want to feel how stiff they are without the dampening adjustments.

i just put the type ones on the other day, ride is really smooth on clean paved roads. Idk what its like out there, but if you've got roads under construction all the time or just uneven pavement in general, you're really gonna feel EVERY bump.

still a great ride tho, but you'll see when you get to try them out.

pattywak

Reaction score

That's why I am so iffy about getting something without dampening adjustment. I've heard the same review for basically every suspension available - "rides smooth, but you feel every bump in the road." Hell, people said that GC sleeves were stiff, but mine aren't at all. I know its hard to relate on a forum how a suspension feels, so that is why im turning away towards dampening adjustable coilovers bc I want to be guaranteed a stiff stiff ride.

Leo Type-S

Reaction score

goes this group-buy have an end date? i want me some f2s!

swollen_cu

Reaction score

That's why I am so iffy about getting something without dampening adjustment. I've heard the same review for basically every suspension available - "rides smooth, but you feel every bump in the road." Hell, people said that GC sleeves were stiff, but mine aren't at all. I know its hard to relate on a forum how a suspension feels, so that is why im turning away towards dampening adjustable coilovers bc I want to be guaranteed a stiff stiff ride.

every coilover is smooth until the roads get uneven. coilovers recover more quickly than shocks/springs. Also, springs/shock combo have a greater suspension travel, thus letting it absorb more of the road.

And what are you running your GCs on?

Sleeper Cell

No more CG Squad!!!
Reaction score

Trust me if you want something stiff it relies on the shock, not the spring. You'll notice far greater stiffness from a shock that is dampened correctly than a shock that isn't. I can almost guarantee you that any Taiwanese coilover is not going to be valved for the springs that they use. That is why they slap on a 12K spring; they are trying to simulate good dampening. With a monotube shock you should be able to have a pretty damn stiff ride with a 8K or 10K spring, assuming it is valved for it. Also, just because you adjust the damper doesn't mean that it is doing much for you.

People assume that since a shock has 8 adjustment settings that click 1 means it's 1/8th the stiffness. That isn't true. A lot of the times, each click is different. So you could have it on the 4th click but that doesn't mean that it will be dampened half way. It could be at like a 60% dampening rate vs. the 50% you were under the impression it was giving you. Another reason why adjustable dampers aren't good on cheap setups is that when you go through the damper settings you experience crosstalk. So in some instances on the dampening curve it might be softer than on a lower setting.

If you want a stiff stiff ride, get some Koni Yellows and revalve them for some 10K or 12K springs, and then get some Ground Control sleeves from Eibach that are 10K or 12K. You'll see how they feel on their maximum stiffness compared to any Taiwanese coilovers with the same rates.
every coilover is smooth until the roads get uneven. coilovers recover more quickly than shocks/springs. Also, springs/shock combo have a greater suspension travel, thus letting it absorb more of the road.

And what are you running your GCs on?
What are you basing your statements on?

pattywak

Reaction score

Trust me if you want something stiff it relies on the shock, not the spring. You'll notice far greater stiffness from a shock that is dampened correctly than a shock that isn't. I can almost guarantee you that any Taiwanese coilover is not going to be valved for the springs that they use. That is why they slap on a 12K spring; they are trying to simulate good dampening. With a monotube shock you should be able to have a pretty damn stiff ride with a 8K or 10K spring, assuming it is valved for it. Also, just because you adjust the damper doesn't mean that it is doing much for you.

People assume that since a shock has 8 adjustment settings that click 1 means it's 1/8th the stiffness. That isn't true. A lot of the times, each click is different. So you could have it on the 4th click but that doesn't mean that it will be dampened half way. It could be at like a 60% dampening rate vs. the 50% you were under the impression it was giving you. Another reason why adjustable dampers aren't good on cheap setups is that when you go through the damper settings you experience crosstalk. So in some instances on the dampening curve it might be softer than on a lower setting.

If you want a stiff stiff ride, get some Koni Yellows and revalve them for some 10K or 12K springs, and then get some Ground Control sleeves from Eibach that are 10K or 12K. You'll see how they feel on their maximum stiffness compared to any Taiwanese coilovers with the same rates.

Thanks for the thorough response. Info like this is what I love about this site. Also, I do know that the stiffness of the ride depends more on the dampening than the spring, which is why I realize that the weakpoint of my suspension is the Tokico Blues that are mated to the Ground Control coilover sleeves. The only reason I started my search for coilovers is because after going through Tein STechs then upgrading to GCs, I don't want to waste any more time taking the suspension apart to put it back together again. I want to just take the old strut and GC combo out and be able to put a full coilover assembly in. I'm sure you know where I'm coming from, saying that I don't want to have to take the strut and GCs apart just to put them back together again and be disappointed with the final result.

Also, I know Koni Yellows are the cream of the crop when it comes to struts, but how to Tokico Illumias measure up? Are they anywhere near as stiff? I'm just curious.

Also, the GCs I have are for Tokico and come with the regular spring rates, I think they were 400-something. Not sure what the spring rates are measured in, but that's the number I remember the rep I spoke to on the phone gave me.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score

Also, I know Koni Yellows are the cream of the crop when it comes to struts, but how to Tokico Illumias measure up? Are they anywhere near as stiff? I'm just curious.

i have no clue how illuminas compare to yellows, but i loved my illuminas when i had them on my old accord. they felt great going down the road, and i had the rear at 5 and the fronts on 3. for a spring/shock combo or a sleeve/shock combo, id def suggest illuminas if you want something thats a great product and not as expensive as koni's. tho, now im kinda all about full coils, hahaha.

Back