Funny smell... How do I get rid of it?

[email protected].

Reaction score
I used to get that in my '94 a lot, in the summer when I ran the a/c. I'd spray Lysol disinfectant into the cowl area.

It goes away after a few minutes 'cuz you're blowing the stale air out of the system. The best way I found to get rid of it was to shut off the a/c for a minute before I got where I was going, and just blow the fan on a higher speed to try and dry out the vents and air box.

DrocCa89

Reaction score
No you have to recover your refrigerant in order to do this...my bad i just remembered.
1. recover refrigerant
2. Disconnect the lines from the Evap
3. Take apart the passengers lower dashboard and then you'll see the Evap ull it out and take it apart
4. Reassemble and charge the system again.

It might also be your filters too but since you're in Louisiana im going more for the fungus on your Evap fins.

DrocCa89

Reaction score
Peter has a good point once you cleaned all that crap out just remember to dry out your Evap by turning on the fan that will help prevent it from growing back.

cliffsta

Reaction score
Ouchies that sounds like alot of work that I have no idea how to do :(

The smell is largely gone. I still get it when I first take off in the car but it isn't as intense as it was... maybe I had some goop in there and its already gone, just some remnants left. I just ordered a K&N for my Ebay intake, when I pick it up at AZ I'll snag some more cabin air filters. While I have it apart I'll sniff around. I know when I changed them the last time there was alot of crap buried down there, maybe that's where the problem is.

Thanks so much for the help and knowledge, everybody. There's a reason I still pop in here from time to time.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
grab a can of lysol, set ur AC to suck air from teh outside on full blact and lysol away from teh bottom of teh windshield :rock:

ZFreak

Reaction score
The evaporator drain is the little rubber tube sticking out of the firewall on the lower part of the passenger side firewall. You can try to get it "unclogged" by shooting some air from an air compressor through that tube, but the real way to do it is to take your glovebox out and get to it. The drain tube itself is like $10 from Majestic Honda. So you have a better idea of what you're looking at look at the A/C parts diagram at Majestic or in your service manual. The two metal A/C lines going into your firewall are going into the evaporator. The bottom of the evaporator is where the drain is. It's most likely plugged up.

(bringing a thread back from the dead!)

Back