g23 boost idea

F23TypeR

Reaction score
Alright so I bought an H22a4 longblock about 6 weeks ago, the idea was to build the engine while it was out and swap it into the accord. In reality I am just going to put the H project on hold until I can afford to build it right the first time and make it my rape all engine that I'll drop into a frisby chassis like an EG or a rex. Anyways I still want to work on the CG and do your typical honda budget build. I looked at a g23 build a while back and had considered it but wanted to go the h22 route. The way I look at it now is I have the head sitting in the garage and my buddys got a 1st gen dsm and a crap load of extra parts that he gets for dirt cheap because he swings hard off of other dsm crack heads. What I'm thinking now is to swap in the h22 head and boost it with the weed whacker t28 from the dsm and running about 8-10psi. The whp goal I would like to shoot for if possible would be 240-250. I'm pretty much picking up the t28, side mount intercooler, bov, 450cc injectors, fuel pump for a crack head price of 100 bucks. The g23 build would be done by one6 here in chicago because I know that mark can and will do it right. I'm not worried about the reliability in the g23 part in the build just when it comes to boosting it, I would like to think the f series block can handle 8-10 pounds of boost from a t28 given the iron sleeves but I dont know. Thoughts, comments, concerns are all wanted and apprectiated but leave the smart *** comments for some one who will care

TURBOG23

Reaction score
It gets preety expensive. I started this project about a year ago and the cg is still sitting on the driveway. Matting two engines together isnt an easy task. Props to you for wanting to attempt this. GL and have fun.

F23TypeR

Reaction score
not really because the plan with the h22 would be boost with a gt35r .73ar and with the h series boost = resleeving, forged pistons, rods, ect. I dont have the cash to resleeve it right now and to build the bottom end like I want so for me to pop in the h22 now would be unrealistic though I'd like to lol right now I just want a budget build to keep me satisfied. Cost for this build is realy minimun, I would have most of the components for boost and one6 wasnt going to charge me that much for the install of the head. The most expensive part is going to be a fuel manegment system depending on what I decide to go with and if I buy it new

F23TypeR

Reaction score
I'm pretty confident in the build and the cost but I just want to know what every ones thoughts on the strength of the f series block with a t28 at 8-10 pounds

F23A1AT

Reaction score
It should hold without issues, but if you've seen nikita's build thread recently you'll see what happens without the right tune. Its all about the tune regardless of how much money and top shelf items you load in the car with a bad tune it will blow up quickly. So yes it is possible and a good idea but get it tuned right and immediatly after assembly. As for your future h22 setup I still can't wrap my head around why someone would get a motor that is so expensive and a high CR from the start, just to tear it apart and rebuild it when a f23A5 can handle as much boost without needing all the extra expense.

F23TypeR

Reaction score
lol I completley agree about the tuning and the g23 + turbo setup wont go in until I have what I need to get it tuned, its a budget build but I'm not going to cut corners on parts that are going to make or break the project like the ecu and tune. As far as why I bought the h22 in the first place, i got it for a great deal. Drove out to indiana and picked up for 225. The shop owner that had it did a jdm swap for this kids 5th gen prelude and just left the enigine. The shop owner didnt want it or have it taking up space so he put it up on craigslist just to get rid of it. The kid who had the engine said that a low oil pressure light kept coming on. When the shop owner drove the car he didnt see any problems with it. Even if that was the case I would be completley rebuilding the bottom end anyway, oil pump and all. Even then I tore apart the engine, the block is on a stand now and when I tore the head open everything looked to be fine, cams were in great shape. When I talked to mark about possibly finding a head a while back he told me he could get one for 600. Well now I got a longblock for 225

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
You wont need 8-10 poinds to reach ur goal. Also u really dont want to go past 6 or 7 psi unless u have another motor ready.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
^ True, keep it below 7 with an original headgasket and stock studs. If you put in a new headgasket and ARP studs, you can handle 10psi. DON'T go for 11... That's an unlucky number, trust me I know from recent experience.

- Nikita

Back