G23 Turbo or JDM H22?

blackhawksfan18

Reaction score
Ok so I'm really starting to grow on the idea of building my own motor or buying a JDM one and working on internals. My only road block is I don't know what's better, the G23 (built w/ Turbo) or a JDM H22. For those of you who have these motors, how do you like them and which one is better? I want to build a G23 just cuz I can learn more rather than buying a built one already but at the same time building the G23 sounds a bit intimidating and hard, especially since I might want to turbo charge it too and will have to figure out what trans I want if I go with a G23 (probably an OEM 5spd F23 one). If I go H22 I'll just use the LSD one. Thanks!
P.S. I have searched and am still searching right now! Have been for a few days!

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
Are you going to go boost either way? If so, I'd say go g23 because it'll be cheaper and the block can handle boost better.
With an h22, if you're going to tear into it and upgrade the internals, I don't see why you don't just get a usdm h22 instead.

blackhawksfan18

Reaction score
Are you going to go boost either way? If so, I'd say go g23 because it'll be cheaper and the block can handle boost better.
With an h22, if you're going to tear into it and upgrade the internals, I don't see why you don't just get a usdm h22 instead.
I probably won't go boost right away but if the funds are right I might. I'm planning on doing this within 2-3 years so I thought it would be good to teach myself about all this now and get all my ideas out on the table to decide. How hard is it to build a G23? I don't want to start something I won't finish especially if I decide to go FI and not NA

Jordan_H

Reaction score
G23 takes some modification and everyone does it a little bit differently. G23 would be best for boost. But for simplicity Id do h22

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
If you want something quick and won't be boosting for a while, h22 or h23 might be better. And when the time comes to turbo, make sure you upgrade the connecting rods. A lot of people say you must resleeve the block, but I've met enough people with turbo preludes using stock sleeves and only stronger rods to convince me otherwise. But they're only putting out 250 to 300 hp.
With the g23, I've never personally done that before. But after enough research, I'm confident that I can do it reliably. And if someone like me can do it, I know a lot more can too. Just be patient and do everything right the first time.
Honestly, I'm sure you'll be just as happy either way. But I'd personally go h22, just cause I love those engines :)

Trouble01

Reaction score
I have had a G23 in my car now for about 8 months and if done right the motor is beautiful. I have had a built H22 and the G23 feels much better and pulls harder. The Cost I think was almost the same, although the G23 could be cheaper, but if you want to do it right the little stuff adds up so what you may save financially you will def loose it right back in time and research.

So far it was completely worth it. I have a built bottom and head and looking to boost in January. I'll let you know how it runs

phi1542

Reaction score
I have had a G23 in my car now for about 8 months and if done right the motor is beautiful. I have had a built H22 and the G23 feels much better and pulls harder. The Cost I think was almost the same, although the G23 could be cheaper, but if you want to do it right the little stuff adds up so what you may save financially you will def loose it right back in time and research.

So far it was completely worth it. I have a built bottom and head and looking to boost in January. I'll let you know how it runs

How is your G23 holding up?

Back