Gage cluster lights not working

Tjohn15

Reaction score
I had purchased an AC climate control with bezel trim and clock out of a 02 Accord off Ebay. This afternoon I took the few minutes to replace the bad AC unit. After getting into it, I realized the clock must also be replaced since the bezel out of an 02 is slightly different than out of my 99. After all connections were made, I tested and it works although now my gage cluster does not light up. With the car running and headlights off, both the clock and mileage displays are lit. Once the lights are turned on, both displays go out and the cluster lights remain off. Thinking it was something to do with the new climate control or clock, I quickly connected all the original parts and the same thing happens. I was reading a little about a driver side multiplexor but I'm unsure if that's the problem. Can anyone elaborate on what might have caused this issue? Driving at night becomes a little tricky this way

Tjohn15

Reaction score
I did a search and someone had a similar problem with the cluster lighting but no I did not disconnect my battery

XxESKIMOxX

Reaction score
98-00 and 01-02 uses different wiring though it may look like the same it is not. Change it back to 98-00 and you shouldn't have a problem. I know from personal experience I did the same thing but, 98 to 01. If you change all of that and it still doesn't work properly you may have to check your mutiplextor as what cirsurvive stated.

Tjohn15

Reaction score
Yeah I had put the old unit in after I realized sh!t hit the fan and the result was the same

XxESKIMOxX

Reaction score
check probably mutiplextor since it will most likely be that. find one on ebay. or check your local junkyard. I was lucky to find one for 25 dollars on ebay since those things run about 75.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If you didn’t disconnect your battery, it’s possible you may have blown your small lights fuse. Check that before moving to multiplexor.

Back