Gas gauge needle acts up...

auggievirata

Reaction score
Okay this problem just happened to me recently. When I gas my car to full tank the needle stays at at EMPTY and when I drive it will show full then slowly go down to half tank... Any reason why my gas gauge is acting up? Is there any way to fix this problem?

agginline86

Reaction score
one time when I filled up, my gas needle wouldn't show the tank was full
as i drove the needle started to move and slowly started working towards showing the tank was full.

this has only happened once though and it hasn't happened since

hard to say when it's an intermittent problem.

agginline86

Reaction score
yeah it could be the float in the gas tank, or it could be a bad relay or some other gauge related issue.

are you having any other issues? electrical or otherwise?

Griffeycom

Reaction score
Sounds similar to my old 98's problem. Replaced fuel sending unit and all was fixed.

phi1542

Reaction score
Reviving old thread. I just got a 02 4cyl manual coupe. Went to pump the gas for the first time and after I filled up I started my car. When I started my car the gas was still on E. It was going up to full but really slow. After a minute or so it finally went to full but now when I shut off my car it stays on full it doesn't go back down with all the other needles. I can't remember if it did that before or not. But it was weird when it went up to full super slow...

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

james'99

Reaction score
Reviving old thread. I just got a 02 4cyl manual coupe. Went to pump the gas for the first time and after I filled up I started my car. When I started my car the gas was still on E. It was going up to full but really slow. After a minute or so it finally went to full but now when I shut off my car it stays on full it doesn't go back down with all the other needles. I can't remember if it did that before or not. But it was weird when it went up to full super slow...

Ha! V6 pleb thinking everything is the same on a 4 cylinder! Just messing with you bud! That's normal operation on the 4 cylinder. V6 goes to empty when shut off and goes up quickly. Don't ask why Honda did this though... Haha!

phi1542

Reaction score
Ha! V6 pleb thinking everything is the same on a 4 cylinder! Just messing with you bud! That's normal operation on the 4 cylinder. V6 goes to empty when shut off and goes up quickly. Don't ask why Honda did this though... Haha!
What?!?!? LOL I thought that was how it was for every car haha 4 cylinder is totally different. Did an oil change for the first time and the oil pan is on the opposite side.... Also why is the oil filter all the way up there?! I couldn't even get the thing off so I didn't bother changing the filter. How do you get the filter off? I usually use a filter wrench but it wouldn't slide on the filter

james'99

Reaction score
What?!?!? LOL I thought that was how it was for every car haha 4 cylinder is totally different. Did an oil change for the first time and the oil pan is on the opposite side.... Also why is the oil filter all the way up there?! I couldn't even get the thing off so I didn't bother changing the filter. How do you get the filter off? I usually use a filter wrench but it wouldn't slide on the filter

I have no idea why the V6 and 4 cyl have different fuel gauges but they do. lol!

A lot of the 4 cyl Honda's have the filter high on the back. It is the same filter as V6 though so it should use the same filter wrench. Channel locks will work if nothing else.

Back