Gas light problem?

VWEATERACCORD

Reaction score
Okay so for the longest time the little yellow gas light for when you're low on gas has been out. well i thought it was until yesterday i tried replacing the bulb . can anyone tell me if when you turn the key right before ignition and all that dash lights come on does the gas come on too? mine doesnt and idk what the problem is.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
u must run low on gas a lot. Not a very good thing, otherwise the light should not be burned out.

finch13

Reaction score
A bulb not lighting can mean a ton of things other than the bulb burned out.

The indicator lights are controlled by different conditions in their associated systems. Refer to each associated system to see its entire schematic.

The fuel gauge has two intersecting coils wound around a permanent magnet rotor. Voltage applied to the coils, through fuse 9, generates a magnetic field. The magnetic field, controlled by the engine fuel gauge sending unit, causes the rotor to rotate and the gauge needle to move. As the resistance in the sending unit varies, current through the gauge coils changes, moving the gauge needle toward the coil with the strongest magnetic field.

The fuel gauge sending units resistance varies from about 3-5 Ohms at full to about 106 Ohms at empty. When you turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0) , the gauge remains at the last reading until you turn the ignition switch to ON (II) or START (III) again.

A thermistor is mounted in the fuel tank unit. When the thermistor is cool, its resistance is very high. When the thermistor's temperature increases, its resistance decreases. Fuel in the fuel tank transfers heat away from the thermistor fast enough to keep it cool so the thermistor's resistance stays high and the low fuel indicator light does not come on. When the fuel level drops below the thermistor, the thermistor's temperature increases. With less and less fuel to cool it, the thermistor's resistance decreases, eventually allowing current to flow through the low fuel indicator light and the thermistor to ground, which turns on the low fuel indicator light.

There is a low fuel sensor in the fuel gauge sending unit in the tank that's probably malfunctioning. If you're capable, you can test it with a wire. The wire harness is located under the spare tire cover, under the silver access panel.

Do this with less than 2 gallons in the tank (E or below E)

Connect the fuel pump connector pin 1 and 3 with a jumper wire.
-If the light comes on, replace the fuel gauge sending unit.
-If the light does not come on, check for:
-> an open circuit in the LT GRN/RED wire between the fuel gauge sending unit and the fuel gauge
-> blown bulb.
-> bad ground (in trunk)

The meter assembly lists for $82.55 from Honda, P/N 17630-S84-305 (1999 F23A1 5spd, should be the same for I4 and V6 models, but double check)

:peace:

Last edited:

VWEATERACCORD

Reaction score
no its not that i run low on gas alot. ever since i got the car from my grandma...... yea my grandma lmao its always been burnt out. i asked her she said she never let it get that low to even go on in the first place haha so idk

Back