Gas/Oil mixture leak?

Sl1m_Shady

Reaction score
Alright so within the past week, ive noticed my 01 Ex 4cyl sedan has started to leak a minimal amount of this weird mixture of gasoline/oil.

I would assume by the looks of the spots on the ground its no more than a few drops. At first i thought it was leaking antifreeze but i touched/smelled the stuff and its not. I tried to locate where it was coming from, but i only found one small thing:

The air flow tube running from my cold air intake to my valve cover gasket had some residue around the opening of the valve cover end. I took it off, there was a very small amount, no more than a drop of the stuff at the end of the hose. i took a circular clamp and put it around the tube/opening to the valve cover and it seemed that nothing else would be leaking out of there....

but obviously...

nothing but air should be in that tube in the first place, right? :run:

Or would you guys have a different explanation for the leak???

any input would be appreciated...

Thanks

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
thats a vent for the valve cover. take off the valve cover, whats under it? oil :lawl:

its normal to have a little, and a drop is nothing to worry about.

now the drip on the ground...thats a different story. put it up on ramps/jack stands and slide under it. when my oil pan "gasket" was visibly done for, the oil would seep but never drip onto the ground. so it takes quite a bit of liquid to get to the ground OR the drop needs a straight shot down.

Sl1m_Shady

Reaction score
thats a vent for the valve cover. take off the valve cover, whats under it? oil :lawl:

its normal to have a little, and a drop is nothing to worry about.

:D Well yeah i shoulda known...

BUT.....

the drips seem to be coming from the middle of the sedans undercarriage. More towards the drivers side...strong odor of fuel underneath it, BUT again, it only drips periodically. Only like once or twice a day. So i cant exactly pinpoint it.....is this a fuel line problem??? :skurred:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
when you look under the hood, look at the firewall. to the right (drivers) of center, theres a bracket holding a hose to the firewall...that's your fuel line. naturally you can trace it from there :lawl:

under what conditions does the smell/puddle appear? run the car and see/sniff what happens?

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
:D Well yeah i shoulda known...

BUT.....

the drips seem to be coming from the middle of the sedans undercarriage. More towards the drivers side...strong odor of fuel underneath it, BUT again, it only drips periodically. Only like once or twice a day. So i cant exactly pinpoint it.....is this a fuel line problem??? :skurred:

it could be. check the fuel lines that run the length of your car.

finch13

Reaction score
Middle of the car, drivers side, would be where the fuel and brake lines run. My guess is that they rusted through a bit, and are seeping enough to cause it to drip.

As far as the fresh air inlet tube on the valve cover, there shouldn't really be anything in it. It's designed to only have fresh air flowing into it, if the PCV valve is working correctly.

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
actually im pretty sure some oil in the tube is ok. but the fuel lines are on the driver side. check the metal lines under the car...i think they're covered with a plastic to protect them...cause of course you don't want to scrape metal that's carrying fuel...

Sl1m_Shady

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input.

Fortunately I have access to a lift so I'll definitely check under asap....I was also assuming it's a fuel line problem...if worse came to worse I could just replace the thing

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
lol that's what we've been saying the whole time, that your fuel line is located on the drivers side of the vehicle since you said it's in the middle of the car. they should be covered in a plastic holder to protect the lines.

Sl1m_Shady

Reaction score
Yeah haha I'm new to this car...recently obtained this 01 ex sedan 4cyl that the previous owner had let the battery explode and virtually covered the entire bay with sulfuric green acid ****....so everythings corroding now :bash:

but yeah I'm going to have to start fixing her up somewhere and this is the immediate problem with the fuel line...

I'll probably start a thread showing the condition of the car because the body is absolutely great, dark emerald green paint...engine is a different story though:(

Back