Getting a noise when turning right

agginline86

Reaction score
Yea I'm sure its coming from the passenger side. Also I have an i4. I only hear the sound when I'm driving really slow like when trying to park. While I'm driving at normal speeds, I don't hear it. And to clarify from my earlier post, my car does make the sound slightly when the wheel turns back

Not sure how to make a sound clip, any help on how to do it would be great

your power steering pump is on the drivers side, so one could make the argument it probably isn't PS based on where the sound is coming from. but from what you're saying that it makes the noise cranking the wheel and when it is turned back you hear it as well, then I'm not sure because that does sound like a PS issue? I'm not gonna be much help on this one without seeing/hearing it

chino581991

Reaction score
your power steering pump is on the drivers side, so one could make the argument it probably isn't PS based on where the sound is coming from. but from what you're saying that it makes the noise cranking the wheel and when it is turned back you hear it as well, then I'm not sure because that does sound like a PS issue? I'm not gonna be much help on this one without seeing/hearing it

I'll listen closer, I might be mistaking the sound on the wrong side. Any idea of what the best way to make a sound clip is?

Laurence

Reaction score
Most likely your CV Axle. I've had this issue twice with my car and it has turned out to be my CV axle both times. It doesn't hurt to check it out yourself.

agginline86

Reaction score
Most likely your CV Axle. I've had this issue twice with my car and it has turned out to be my CV axle both times. It doesn't hurt to check it out yourself.

CV axles/joints tend to make more of a clicking sound when they go bad
if it happens when you turn right, it would indicate a bad drivers side CV axle/joint
but since you say it's more of a screeching sound, again hard to say

Solidus

Reaction score
I did a rebuild of my power steering. If its the power steering you would hear a high pitch screech.

First you need to check your fluid level if its low there is more than likely a leak.
Your power steering will make a noise for 2 reasons.
1) Fluid is low causing lack of lubrication
2) If air is in the system (This can be caused by replacing a part of the system or can be caused due to certain types of leaks)

If fluid level is good and no noticeable leaks than its not your power steering. You also want to look at your rack and pinion.

Hope that helps.

mgoad

Reaction score
check your boots on your axles. Mine went out and had a clicking, but its worth looking at.

chino581991

Reaction score
I did a rebuild of my power steering. If its the power steering you would hear a high pitch screech.

First you need to check your fluid level if its low there is more than likely a leak.
Your power steering will make a noise for 2 reasons.
1) Fluid is low causing lack of lubrication
2) If air is in the system (This can be caused by replacing a part of the system or can be caused due to certain types of leaks)

If fluid level is good and no noticeable leaks than its not your power steering. You also want to look at your rack and pinion.

Hope that helps.

This helps a lot, I'll do all this tomorrow on my day off. And the sound is definitely high pitched, it's just hard to tell where the sound is actually coming from because the hood is close(?). When I check the fluid, should i check with the car on or off?

Solidus

Reaction score
This helps a lot, I'll do all this tomorrow on my day off. And the sound is definitely high pitched, it's just hard to tell where the sound is actually coming from because the hood is close(?). When I check the fluid, should i check with the car on or off?

Check with the car off. Really look and inspect everything power steering related and look for any fresh power steering fluid that leaked, if any. Check your fluid levels and fill as needed.

To pinpoint the noise better, after you have inspected everything power steering turn the car on. Have your hood open the entire time and slowly turn the wheel right to lock than slowly left to lock. Listen carefully. If you still find it hard to pinpoint, have a buddy do the lock to lock for you as you observe and listen carefully to the engine bay area. Sometimes it could even be the belt that is wrapped around the power steering making the noise which just requires some belt conditioner.

chino581991

Reaction score
So I check my fluids today and the power steering is at the lower level. Imma fill it to the upper level today and see if it still makes the noise, if so ill also check to see where it's coming from

Drew707

Reaction score
I had a squeeling screeching noise from my driver side. It was my wheel bearing going out so maybe check that out

Back