Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 10/28/13

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune....

Alright, that is exactly what I am doing. I have seen that video before. I appreciate your help a ton Akoutmos!

What I meant by timing belt cover is the lower plastic belt cover on the block has a the piece that protrudes out (noted as "A" on the photo) that you use to match with the ticks on the crank pulley up to, to set the the timing... sorry for the confusion.

The timing is off so much so that I can't turn it over so what I have to do is turn off the injectors to get the timing close so I can turn the car over first.

I get what your saying, however I am trying to set it to 0 TDC and sync the timing with that. so in lieu of lining those marks up i set it to the tick by itself (which is 0 degrees) and in the AEM i set the base like you did in the picture to 0 degrees and i adjust the timing to make it match 0 degrees.

I think it makes sense on what I am doing wrong though, i must have been using the wrong spark plug wire and was not paying attention when I clamped on the timing light signal. For some reason I must have thought cylinder 1 is at the distributor side and not paying attention.... (it was after a long day at work). That explains why I can't get the timing correct.... lol.

Also the timing is off due to needing to replace the headgasket and I removed the distributor so therefore have to re-set the base timing to get back to my properly tuned ignition map. The timing map is correct, it's just off due to previosly stated above.

Last edited:

EmMinODaGreaT

Reaction score

well good news is the f23 distributors are pretty fixed, so ignition timing isnot going to change, as one hole doesnt have a slot.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

well good news is the f23 distributors are pretty fixed, so ignition timing isnot going to change, as one hole doesnt have a slot.

That's the one thing that does help me out extremely is that I can't/don't have to adjust the distributor at all for timing purposes....

This week I will be returning to the garage and getting it up and running now that I know the culpret (my tired a** trying to work on my car.... lol)

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Glad you're making progress man! I texted you about a clutch question recently, hit me up when you get a chance.

EmMinO: I know one of the holes, does have an adjustment range, but like you said the other hole is fixed - disallowing rotation/adjustment.

Why would Honda make it like this?

Is it hypothetically:

1) Possible
2) In any way beneficial

To fabricate a bracket allowing the second hole a range like the first, or modify the area around the fixed hole to allow the range of adjustment?

I've wondered about this for a long time. MY train of through is that doing this would allow manual ignition timing adjustment, as most other Honda motors allow. Thanks!

- Nikita

Last edited:

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Glad you're making progress man! I texted you about a clutch question recently, hit me up when you get a chance.

EmMinO: I know one of the holes, does have an adjustment range, but like you said the other hole is fixed - disallowing rotation/adjustment.

Why would Honda make it like this?

Is it hypothetically:

1) Possible
2) In any way beneficial

To fabricate a bracket allowing the second hole a range like the first, or modify the area around the fixed hole to allow the range of adjustment?

I've wondered about this for a long time. MY train of through is that doing this would allow manual ignition timing adjustment, as most other Honda motors allow. Thanks!

- Nikita

Nikita,

Texted ya back...

I'm sure it is possible to do however it would take some skill to weld in the correct spot, size, thread type etc.....

The twisting of the distributor is the old school way of adjusting timing. Now it is all done via the ECU or EMS and able to lock the timing and adjust it to match what you locked the timing at. (Exactly what I am doing right now.

That is the beauty of the computers, chips, programs that we use on our cars to allow for this withought fu**ing with manual adjustment of the distributor....

hotaccord243

Reaction score

No problem! Going to go work on it tonight so we'll see if I can FINALLY get it running again and switched over to E85...

EmMinODaGreaT

Reaction score

I think its just the fact of how it bolts up funny to the head, and the fact they never designed to to be screwed with. I modifyed a distributor it be able to advance ignition timing like other hondas. lol.

EmMinODaGreaT

Reaction score

Also you have to set a base ignition timing in an ecu regardless, then adjust off of that. You can make adjustments to ignition timing in ems's but its going to be adjusting of what the base timing is. You cant just punch a number in and think its going to be that. You put, + 14 degrees of timing its going to add 14 degrees ontop of whatever the base timing is.

Back