Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 10/28/13

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 8/8/13

A little Update:

- Got my downpipe, oil return, tranny cover and all 10mm bolts off the oil pan. All I need to do is pull it, clean it seal it, and put it back together. Looks like it was leaking where the pan meets the transmission behind the tranny cover. I'll have to easy out some oil pan bolts and get new ones for a better seal as well. But work is starting!
- Spark Plugs are on their way (sometime next week)
- Ordered the ACT 6puck sprung clutch disc. Will be here Tuesday.
- Ordered ACT alignment tool and new ACT throw-out bearing just to be safe. Will be here next week sometime.

I'll also take a look at getting some new gaskets for the 5 bolt downpipe and downpipe/exhaust portions. The downpipe has (1) bolt/stud that snapped off at the turbo a while back so i'll try to back that one out and replace it while I'm taking almost everything apart anyway.

I'm thinking I can get almost everything done before the clutch get's in, then start removing the transmission to replace that as well and check to see if any resurfacing is needed.

Once I get it all back together, it's clutch break in, then tune! :thumbsup:

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 9/12/13

Got the oil pan resealed, thermostat has been changed and flush and filled coolant (need to bleed it still), spark plugs are changed.

Still left to do:
-Pull the transmission and change the clutch (comes Tuesday)
-Change gaskets and easy out a bolt on the turbo
- Put it all back together and bleed coolant, charge a/c
- See why the interior lights are not working
- Break in clutch and TUNE!

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 9/12/13

Here's the driver's side (got the axle and everything out on this side):
DriversSide_zps97efc4a1.jpg

Here's the engine bay (Everything is detached with exception of engine/tranny mounts and one bolt holding the transmission to the engine):
EngineBay_zpsdb94e8aa.jpg

Here's the passenger side (Just have the seperate the lower ball joint/knuckle and remove the axle):
4afca42d-f32b-4539-9d6f-b45c37799c84_zps68fdaa39.jpg

I stopped at 11pm last night because I didn't want to start the compressor and keep using the hammer to not be so noisy for the neighbors....

I have all of the subframe bolts out, just have to remove the support arms from the knuckles and the subframe is out. Seperate the passenger knuckle from the lower ball joint and remove the axle.

After all that, then it's the front engine mount loosen and support weight with jack/wood, transmission mount, 1 tranny/block bolt and it's out!

6puck Clutch disc comes today and I have the throw-out bearing. All I am waiting on is the ACT clutch alignment tool to install the disc/pressure plate and it's all going back together...

Then it's putting new gaskets in the downpipe/exhaust and downpipe/turbo, drilling/tapping/new bolt/stud in the turbo housing, bleed the coolant system, and I am back in business!

Gotta get new pins for the lower ball joints and shifter cables, and some thread sealant for the return oil line to the pan as well to make sure this thing aint leaking a drop or something goes wrong....

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 9/17/13

Transmission is out!

Clutch assembly:
ClutchAssembly_zpsd3db232f.jpg

Old throwout bearing (must of been damaged at removal and good thing I got a new one):
Oldthrowout_zps4d6b0178.jpg

New throwout installed:
Newthrowout_zpsa7e91012.jpg

New disc awaiting the alignment tool (should come today/tomorrow per USPS tracking):
NewDisc_zps5defa3a6.jpg

Flywheel as it sits on the car:
Flywheel3_zpsbdb8ec46.jpg

Pressure plate removed as it sits straight off the car:
PressurePlate3_zpsb41ea62d.jpg

PressurePlate2_zps6daef1e3.jpg

My question is when/how do you know when you need to refinish the surfaces on both the flywheel and the pressure plates? It appears that there are some hot spots on both.... which would cause me to think I should refinish it regardless?

Also, anyone know what type/size of socket gets the flywheel bolts out?

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 9/18/13

Contacted ACT direct and other reliable sources and all of them said that I should be more than fine running the pressure plate (without rebuilding or new) as-is.

The flywheel I am going to remove tonight and have it resurfaced regardless tomorrow.

The reason why I am not replacing the pressure plate is because I'm going to upgrade down the road to a super single/double/triple disc down the road when I have money. So if it starts slipping i'm only out $160 some bucks to be able to go for a re-tune and still use it before the snow starts coming this way in the midwest......

I also confirmed that the alignment tool is sitting on my front door step as of lunchtime. So time to get this thing back together and running ASAP! :hihi:

While I'm under there I'm going to replace the axle oil seals at the transmission to help prevent leaks while i'm under there already and it's already apart.

Last edited:

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Last flywheel bolt is stripped. Any thoughts/opinions/advice?

EmMinODaGreaT

Reaction score

use a torch to heat it up and get it broken loose, or if it is too far gone weld a nut to the bolt and get it off. Or you can try the rounded bolt extractors from sears, hammer on and turn off dont use an impact on this method.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

use a torch to heat it up and get it broken loose, or if it is too far gone weld a nut to the bolt and get it off. Or you can try the rounded bolt extractors from sears, hammer on and turn off dont use an impact on this method.
Stopped with the impact as soon as I saw it slip, which was good. I was going to try heating it up really/fairly hot and use hand tools to break it loose first. I didnt even think of the rounded bolt extractor, thanks! Ill be using that as a last resort for sure! More updates to come soon (hopefully good news)! Oh and ill obviously be replacing that one at bare minimum!

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Another idea is to cut a slit through the center to make it kind of like a flathead screw, make a deep cut with the inner sides of it angled in (with a dremel) so it doesn't slip or strip, then slowly turn it out with a pry-bar or other tool that will fit in the slit. If it's a deep slit that won't slip, then you can even try a large impact flathead on it.

If this fails, then welding a bolt to it would be ideal.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

So got the bolt out. Tried everything from heating and spinning, cutting a slit in it and turning it with a crowbar, easy out, rounded bolt extractor, and NOTHING worked.

SO I said F*** it, i'm drilling the head off. After a while that didn't seem to work either. So I also took a dremel and started cutting the head off. Got about half way through and broke all the cutting wheels. Used a crowbar and a hammer and popped it off:

IMAG0010_zps45e1084d.jpg

Finally got the flywheel off the bolt, and the remaining of the bolt that was sticking out, took a vice grip, and spun it out fairly easy:

IMAG0011_zps93ce49c9.jpg

FINALLY! Well I will be taking it to getting it refinished today, and purchasing a few new flywheel bolts and back in it goes.

I fixed the downpipe bolt as well on the turbo housing and upsized to a 10mm stud and drilled out a bigger hole on the downpipe.

Last thing before I put the transmission back in is one of the shifter bracket bolts snapped off as well, so buying a new bolt for that, drilling it out and re-tapping it, and back in it goes!

Got all my gaskets in the garage, so I'll replace those. Once I get it started bleed the coolant, charge the A/C, and check transmission fluid levels and fill if necessary and i'm good to go.

The axle seals appear to be just fine so i'm not going to worry about replacing those just yet.

:coffee:

Back