Going from HID in stock housing to retro...How big of a difference

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I search, i found that basically a retro is the way to go. I knew that, basically verified it. But, i'm wondering how many people are very happy about it, or just sort of happy. I figure others have the same question as HID is getting cheaper and cheaper. It's almost the same as the crap silverstars i bought back in the day.

I don't exactly like the look of a retro, outside of the cost. I could always just break my dads headlights i guess lol. I don't want my car to be dangerous to other drivers though, just for the sake of better lights. I don't want fix it tickets.

Just looking for honest oppinions, i know there is alot of info, i just want to know how big the difference really was.

adoboi6

Reaction score
I don't want my car to be dangerous to other drivers though, just for the sake of better lights. I don't want fix it tickets.

you would blind oncoming cars more with hids than retros. retros have a cutoff, whereas hids just point everywhere with the bright light.

C_S_L

Reaction score
I use to have HID in stock reflector, but I hate the spread of the light everywhere. It looks real nice but the output is crap. After I did the retro on my own, I cant believe the light output and sharp cutoff it was giving out. FUDKING SICCK! For example, I could see people walking their dog on the sidewalk...on both side. I will never go back to stock or the crap HID in stock. I say, once you go retro you aint going back to stock.:147703263745b138a51

adoboi6

Reaction score
i personally do not have retros, but have been seriously thinking about getting them. but if you just drive around at night and look at the projectors of the lexus, bmws, and such, you will not get blinded if you look head on, because they cut off, but if you look at HIDs, you will get blinded.

nexTOme

Reaction score
ive had 2 sets of retros so far. one e46, current one tsx. both were made superb quality.
i have never ever had doubts, regrets since the day 1 i have installed them.
i feel GREAT especially when i see cars equipped with hid in their stock housing, throwing lights everywhere, cant even see few feets ahead, glare everywhere.

not only retro will give you sharp cut off that will save you and other's lives on the road, but output and visibility wise, they exceed ANY lighting upgrade.

yes, retro FTW :rock:

brettg4215

Reaction score
yes yes yes.....i remember when i spent about $90 on them stupid silver star's
and then bought some $30 ones online and have the same output just bluer
i would say you should do it if its in your budget....
im planning on doing it as soo as i can afford it, hopefully soon (but with much doubt)

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
well i personally love retros...it really is night and day when you compare the two..esp if your just comparing stock halogen...I am on my 2nd retro also..First was e46 now i have my FX setup...

I am working on the FX setup for a new mounting technique, so i currently don't have my retro on..I just have a blackhousing..AND WOW the first time i turned them on i realized how much i missed retros...The intensity and output is so much better, and if they are aimed properly they are not going to blind anybody since they have the cutoff...

You might not like the look of them, and i can see where you are coming from...But the look of them really grew on me..I currently have the retro sitting right next to me, and it is driving me crazy haha..i just have no time to work on them

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score
I'll never drive a vehicle that has halogen lights or reflector HIDS after having retrofitted projector headlights. The difference is night and day, and if you ever drive your car at night it's worth the cost.

Back