Good amp?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
get components, replace the oem 'crossover'

factory ex? have dash tweets...dunno, i have em.

Radio amplifier.

I was going to try a diy setup with a homemade x-over, https://www.parts-express.com/ has supplied my parts for 10 years.

There is WAY more quality that has to do with your speakers. I HATE coax's. Factory sounds better. Do some research about speakers.

I used 4" kevlar cone audax's in a bad *** surround speakers for my dad, out of hand made boxes...awesome.

Drami5

Reaction score
The particular amplifier you are looking at is intended to drive a sub-woofer. But I agree with xci (as usual). If you aren't looking to spend much, just buy a good head unit. Adding a sub and high pass filters later will increase bass and clarity in the high end. High pass filters can be wired in very cheap but many head-units have them built in.

EDIT: The amplifier recommended by schmiddr2 is a 2 channel amp in opposition to your monoblock. Honestly though, stick to a head unit. You still have four speakers. Not two.

So I should leave the original ones and add the ones I bought?

He has speakers, and by that we are lead to assume door speakers and not subs, so he needs a 2 channel amp... Unless he like mono audio, like listening to an AM station all the time.

So the BOSS one isn't good or what? I was planning to get a sub a little later too
If they are door speakers, I recommend just wiring them up to the head unit and spend the money you would for the amp to get some dynamat (or equivalent) instead and do the doors.

What is "do the doors" mean?

This

Thanks for the replys guys

schmiddr2

Reaction score
He probably means slap some dynamat on them, which will do a little, but sealing the doors is the way to go. Look it up.

The bis amp will not work. Buy a 2-channel amp. Like the one I linked. You can buy a sub amp later.

CokeZero

Reaction score
He has speakers, and by that we are lead to assume door speakers and not subs, so he needs a 2 channel amp... Unless he like mono audio, like listening to an AM station all the time.
I just viewed his link, he posted a mono amp originally. I recommended a decent one.

After re reading it.. yes, he probably got a headunit with the 2 door speakers that come in a small bundle.

What is "do the doors" mean?

He means dynomat/soundproof the doors.

Drami5

Reaction score
He probably means slap some dynamat on them, which will do a little, but sealing the doors is the way to go. Look it up.

The bis amp will not work. Buy a 2-channel amp. Like the one I linked. You can buy a sub amp later.

I see now. Will look into it.

EDIT why that one? such low Watt power
I just viewed his link, he posted a mono amp originally. I recommended a decent one.

After re reading it.. yes, he probably got a headunit with the 2 door speakers that come in a small bundle.

He means dynomat/soundproof the doors.

Nah I got a sony stereo along with some pioneer 6.5's

Last edited:

schmiddr2

Reaction score
First of all, the Boss amp you linked is a mono sub amp. This means it will only play a summed L-R signal, aka mono. And it is not likely a full-range amp, meaning it will not play sounds that are above say 300Hz, which is lower than some bass notes. Next is that the amp is marketed as a high power amp, it is not. It may supply 150W at 4 ohm to 1 channel. Also, mono sub amps are generally cheaper than 2 channel amps, so you can expect to get more watts per dollar for a sub amp.

Now, the PPI amp I linked is rated accurately, and 65W at 4 ohm to 2 channels doesn't sound like a lot, but your Sony radio only supplies 20W at 4 ohm to 2 channels. If you read about psychoacoustics you will find that every 3db is a perceived doubling of sound level/volume. To gain 3db you need to double the power, so from 20W to 65W it is 1.5 times as loud. Also your speakers might not even be able to use 65W (or 2 channels being 130W) before they have issues.

Buy that amp, seal up your doors, build speaker rings/spacers, set the HPF to 80Hz, then rock out.

Last edited:

Drami5

Reaction score
I decided to just go for the head unit and the door speakers for now... will get subwoofers later and maybe an amp

schmiddr2

Reaction score
You can always add an amp for the door speakers later. But, if you get subs you will have to get an amp for them, you don't have a choice. Plus a box and wiring.

I'm going to sell my 12"sub and fiberglass enclosure in the near future.

Drami5

Reaction score
You can always add an amp for the door speakers later. But, if you get subs you will have to get an amp for them, you don't have a choice. Plus a box and wiring.

I'm going to sell my 12"sub and fiberglass enclosure in the near future.

So I got my head unit and speakers installed. I got a kicker amp I was going to install, but they told me that the amp was too powerful for the speakers and I would need to buy a subwoofer.

Some friends told me I should get a subwoofer along with 6x9 speakers to complete the system, so do you got any recommendations? And were they right or were they just trying to sell me their product? lol

schmiddr2

Reaction score
You have to tell me what the model number is or have a good picture, otherwise I would just be guessing.

I don't use speakers in the back deck, I only have front speakers, I do this because music is always played in front of you. But it can be done either way, and usually is louder with speakers in the back deck.

"Too powerful and get 6x9's," not people I would trust with car audio.

Back