grinding in Reverse

99ccord

Reaction score
I have an automatic 99 honda accord lx. If i shift from d4 to reverse it grinds. If i shift from d4 to park and pump my brakes a few time before i go to reverse the grind is gone. What could it be?

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Um, your damn transmission??? What else? :lawl:

Sucks! It will need to be replaced. Your only hope is to change the transmission fluid and filter and hope that fixes it. Either that, or if it's fine otherwise, quit driving in D4, and use the normal driving gear. Baby it.

:big_banana_Dance:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
D4 is the drive operating gear.

When shifting from D4 to N to R, are you pausing in each gear position to let the trans have time to shift? Shifting quickly from D4 straight to R and hitting the gas can be rough on it. Have you checked you fluid level? Does it happen every time? What happens when you turn the car on, then shift from P to R?

Brimstone Brown

Reaction score
I had a similar issues. I replaced my front and rear motor mounts and it stopped. I should mention that my car is 5spd.

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
+1 on 2002cg3coupe's post. It might be time or past due on the transmission service.

How long has that issue been happening? I don't know how you drive, but I've seen people go from R to D or D to R while the car's still moving, and pushing the gas before the gear properly engages. I'd recommend fully stopping, moving it to neutral and waiting for a couple seconds, then move to reverse and wait to feel it engage before touching the throttle. I always did that and kept the revs low on my 96 Explorer which is known for tranny failures, and it never let me down.

Back