Ground Control coilover sleeves - discussion

Cpyro

Reaction score
i see that they wont reach the tophats unless the car is lowered. Will i get any new knocking noise or anything?

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
i see that they wont reach the tophats unless the car is lowered. Will i get any new knocking noise or anything?

You wont get any knocking noise if you've installed it correctly. The sleeved wont get low enough for your control arm or anything hitting againts your fender.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Steven, I assume your sig is with the GC's/Yellows, that is about the height I am looking to go, maybe a touch higher in the back, so that would be fine with me.

I just want to know about the spring rate options, if it will be extra to get a custom rate.

I am definately a fan of the setup, just hoping to get a good deal on the GC's if it comes down to those.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Steven, I assume your sig is with the GC's/Yellows, that is about the height I am looking to go, maybe a touch higher in the back, so that would be fine with me.

I just want to know about the spring rate options, if it will be extra to get a custom rate.

I am definately a fan of the setup, just hoping to get a good deal on the GC's if it comes down to those.

Yeah my suspension setup is Koni/GC and on the sig picture I'm at 23.5" on 215/45-17. When I was on some 195/60-15 I use to be 23" from ground to fender.

I never asked them about custom rates, I forgot which site I ordered from, but they had the best deals around at the time. But if I had to do it again, custom spring rates would have been a plus in my books, but the Koni does give you the ability to adjust how soft/stiff you want it to be. But even with th default spring rate, so far I haven't bottomed out or have any type of shocks having contact of any sort.

You'll have that boat look if you set your GC sleeves the same for the front and back if you have them on the same perch, but to avoid that just adjust the perch from the fronts to the bottom perch and leave the rears on the top and have the sleeves set on the same thread. I'll give you pictures of before and after picture of how my car use to have a boat look and after I adjust the front perch of the Koni yellows.

Oh and you should be more than satisfied with the GC sleeves, but I would only pair them with Illumas, KYB AGX, or yellows. Some people have their own opinion, but of you want a full suspensions for about the same price, I'd get some Tien flex, FF type 2.5, or some AMR if you can find a member here that is selling theirs. But I paid about $970USD for my set up and is more than happy with what I can do with my suspension setup and how it rides.

Oh and I almost forgot, you're throwing in a bigger J motor, I don't know their comparison from weight, but I would rather have a higher rate in the front just to be on the safer side.

Edit: Some pictures.

Sorry this was the best picture I had of the car the day my suspensions were installed.
5962911837_f54449ba88_b.jpg

273106_235771676454084_100000637601374_845337_7972962_o.jpg

As you can see the front tires had about a good finger and 1/2 gap.

These were after I adjusted the Koni yellows in the front to get rid of that boat look. The front was lowered about a good 1/2".

6030810185_d3a01df694_b.jpg

330794_259235110774407_100000637601374_930592_1491921026_o.jpg

Then my latest setup...

470811_374879702543280_100000637601374_1282901_121552117_o.jpg

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Thanks for the pic referencces.

Your latest setup is about where I would want my ride hide. I do plan to run 18's with 225/40's, so it won't be a super aggressive drop, but I will need to roll my fenders.

I think the added weight(if any) of the J35 plus the added weight of the audio, should help balance things out. Not sure if there is a weight difference between the J30/J35, but I am sure having some type of coilover setup should help.

Currently, both the Front/rear is on the same setting with the Yellows/Sportlines, and with th audio in the back, I am tucking about 1" of the rear tire, so I figure if I raise the rear, the car should sit about even again.

With the GC's, I wouldn't go more than 12K in the front and 10 in the rear. I know FF 2.5 would give me that, but if I can achieve the same with the GC's for less, I would prefer to go that route and put funds elsewhere.

Mikey

Reaction score
Yeah my suspension setup is Koni/GC and on the sig picture I'm at 23.5" on 215/45-17. When I was on some 195/60-15 I use to be 23" from ground to fender.
I like where you are in the front. That's perfect. I want that with my 17s, front and rear.

As you mentioned, the front will need to be low and the rear higher, to fight the boat look.

Cpyro

Reaction score
Are you lowered at all now?

Yea, im lowered on Ksport GT springs, about 2.5f/2.75r or vice versa lol cant remember.

Thats interesting advice about the spring perch for the front so they can be lowered the same. thx.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic referencces.

Your latest setup is about where I would want my ride hide. I do plan to run 18's with 225/40's, so it won't be a super aggressive drop, but I will need to roll my fenders.

I think the added weight(if any) of the J35 plus the added weight of the audio, should help balance things out. Not sure if there is a weight difference between the J30/J35, but I am sure having some type of coilover setup should help.

Currently, both the Front/rear is on the same setting with the Yellows/Sportlines, and with th audio in the back, I am tucking about 1" of the rear tire, so I figure if I raise the rear, the car should sit about even again.

With the GC's, I wouldn't go more than 12K in the front and 10 in the rear. I know FF 2.5 would give me that, but if I can achieve the same with the GC's for less, I would prefer to go that route and put funds elsewhere.

Your should be perfect with 12k/10k, If you're not going to be slammed, this setup should be perfect for your needs. Why not just buy a new pair of Ground Control sleeves brand new?

I like where you are in the front. That's perfect. I want that with my 17s, front and rear.

As you mentioned, the front will need to be low and the rear higher, to fight the boat look.

Thanks, can't wait to see your car lowered :D. With coils, fighting the boat look is always possible :)

Yea, im lowered on Ksport GT springs, about 2.5f/2.75r or vice versa lol cant remember.

Thats interesting advice about the spring perch for the front so they can be lowered the same. thx.

What kind of shocks are you on right now?

Back