h23 intake

S-spec

Reaction score
Well, it has more to do with manifold design than just bigger bore...

I haven't seen an H23 intake mani, let alone compared one with an F23 side by side, but here is a basic rundown:

longer runners = more torque down low
shorter runner = better high end hp
bigger plenum = better throttle responce and better high end breathing
bigger tb = same as bigger plenum
width of the runner will move the powerband as well. skinnier will move the power lower, it will creat velocity at low rpm, wider runners will make for better breathability up high.

So put the 2 side by side, and then you make the decision as best you can. Without back to back dyno's however, there is no concrete conclusions to say which is better.

Hope this helps. :)

jdm.fanatic

Reaction score
ok so now that I know that it will work no problem. Will I get some gains to make it worth it, and what if I port and polish it.

S-spec

Reaction score
Well again! If you have the parts, won't hurt to try!

As for porting out the intake mani, its not as easy as just removing material. You make it breathe better up high, you will hurt performance at low RPM which is more what is needed for street driving, but not that many performance oriented people care...

And you never polish the intake side of the engine. Port is, yes, but never polish. Its a common misconception.

jdm.fanatic

Reaction score
well i have a complete h23 i picked up about about a year ago maybe ill just put the whole head and intake on,but ofcorse there is a lot more to that that I dont really know how to do

S-spec

Reaction score
There is a how-to on that build on Honda-tech...by pirate I believe, and its a lot more straight forward than an H22 head swap. No oil passage to block, and the rear coolant pipe from an older f22 fits right in as well, but I can't remember off the top of my head which motor its from.

All the info you would need is in that thread :)

Egi7

Reaction score
Sorry, but the H23 head does need to be plugged for the f23 block. The f22a waterpipe is need also. Since you have a complete h23 motor, u have all the rest of the misc. items you will need. If you are staying obd2 get a obd2b P14.
Also the h23 IM does fit the f23s bolt pattern, but the ports are not the same size and the coolant passage is slightly off. It will work, but you might have a coolant leak if you dont match it or block it off altogether.

-Mike

S-spec

Reaction score
Egi7 said:
Sorry, but the H23 head does need to be plugged for the f23 block. The f22a waterpipe is need also. Since you have a complete h23 motor, u have all the rest of the misc. items you will need. If you are staying obd2 get a obd2b P14.
Also the h23 IM does fit the f23s bolt pattern, but the ports are not the same size and the coolant passage is slightly off. It will work, but you might have a coolant leak if you dont match it or block it off altogether.

-Mike

He speaks truth! My bad about the oil passage!

Here is the build thread:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1046336

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
S-spec said:
And you never polish the intake side of the engine. Port is, yes, but never polish. Its a common misconception.

and y is tht? :confused:

btw, i'm too lazy to read the whole G23 swap thing... but i need some info tho lol

1. which head gasket do i need again? H23 or F23?
2. water pump is still gonna be the F23 water pump rite?
3. and i remember reading abt plugging the coolant passage in the head with jbweld... if someone can refer me to the page on the h-t site, tht would be awesome.... damn i'm lazy :rofl:

Back