Hardwiring a radar detector?

Interpol

Reaction score
I was looking for some tutorials on how to hardwire a radar detector on 6th gen accords but I can't find anything online. I was just hoping someone can give me some advice on how to do it. Thanks. (1999 Accord Coupe V6):)

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I have mine hardwired to a switched port on the driver side fusebox (under dash, not on side), I'll post a photo of which one to use.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
it should be pretty straight forward...probably a power and a ground that go to the 12v outlet plug. i hardwired the one i had in my first accord, just put the ground on a ground point and put the power to an ignition activated power source. i just ghetto fuse tapped mine to a fuse haha, never had any problems with that setup though.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Like they said, pick a hot wire (at least accessory switched!), tap it, add a fuse, then the detector. Ground can go anywhere that's chassis AND metal.

I added an extra cig lighter socket to my car, with a dual usb charging adapter. I put it all under the console and ran the usb charging cables out the front for my phone and out the back for my camera.

james'99

Reaction score
Like they said, pick a hot wire (at least accessory switched!), tap it, add a fuse, then the detector. Ground can go anywhere that's chassis AND metal.

I added an extra cig lighter socket to my car, with a dual usb charging adapter. I put it all under the console and ran the usb charging cables out the front for my phone and out the back for my camera.

Yeah! You could go to the back of the cig lighter or if you have an aftermarket radio, maybe its best to tap that harness at the black and red wires. Yellow is always hot for radio memory but the red is switched for accessory. If you were t use the blue remote wire, it would fail when the radio was turned off so don't do that.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
This is the switched port I am using, it is off when the car is off so it won't draw from your battery.

temporary-12.jpg

Interpol

Reaction score
Guys I appreciate the replies, but I am a total rookie when it comes to mods, even if it's as "simple" as this, can someone please give me like a step by step tutorial with everything that I will need to do this, I really don't want to pay Best Buy to do this :/

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Did your unit come with a smartcord or other accessory that lets you hardwire it? Or is there one available for it? That's what I used with mine and it simplified everything.

Interpol

Reaction score
Did your unit come with a smartcord or other accessory that lets you hardwire it? Or is there one available for it? That's what I used with mine and it simplified everything.
no it didn't come with one, but there are directwire cords available to buy online for my whistler cr90, so i basically just have no idea where to begin as far as installing it goes.

Back