Hardwiring a radar detector?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Here is a directwire smartcord, just an example but they should all be roughly the same. To make things easier on yourself, I'd pick one up for your unit.

41w%2BmUcVIdL._SY450_.jpg

So the plug that looks like an ethernet plug goes into the radar unit, and the ring terminal goes to a grounding point. Those are easy. The last connection (clear thing) has to tap a 12 volt source - ideally you want one that is only on when the car is on, so it's not using battery power when the car is off.

You can either use the tap (blue thing) to tap the cigarette lighter 12v wire and plug the clear thing into that, or you can crimp two female connectors at both ends of a wire (inside the clear plug is a male) and plug the clear thing into one end, and plug the other end into the fuse slot pictured above.

Last edited:

Interpol

Reaction score
Here is a directwire smartcord, just an example but they should all be roughly the same. To make things easier on yourself, I'd pick one up for your unit.

So the plug that looks like an ethernet plug goes into the radar unit, and the ring terminal goes to a grounding point. Those are easy. The last connection (clear thing) has to tap a 12 volt source - ideally you want one that is only on when the car is on, so it's not using battery power when the car is off.

You can either use the tap (blue thing) to tap the cigarette lighter 12v wire and plug the clear thing into that, or you can crimp two female connectors at both ends of a wire (inside the clear plug is a male) and plug the clear thing into one end, and plug the other end into the fuse slot pictured above.
Which option would you recommend regarding the tap option? Also would it be the fuse box on the drivers side or where do I look? Sorry bro I'm a total newbie at this.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
It's all good, I've only recently gained a better understanding of wiring so I understand where you're coming from.

As for which method, depends on preference. Running it to the fusebox is cleaner and more OEM since you're using an actual powered port on the car, but this does require a few dollars investment in some wire (I'd use 18gauge) and two insulated female crimp connectors. Running it to the cig lighter is less of an OEM way to do things however it's simple and works fine, but this does require you to take apart some of the center console.

I have mine hardwired to a switched port on the driver side fusebox (under dash, not on side), I'll post a photo of which one to use.

Take a look and you'll see it. ;)

Last edited:
Back