has anyone.....

silverbullet99

Reaction score
hey I tried searching but couldn't find anything so if this has been discussed before please don't hate me.

has ANYONE ever tried painting the LX sideskirts before? I've heard mixed things about it so I figured I'd ask the crew here before going over to the body shop.

I just bought an 00 LX 2dr and I'm not really digging the black sideskirts. I was thinking about swapping the ones from my EX but they're pretty scratched up plus the bolts are all probably rusted to hell. I can get ex sideskirts for 240 bucks (normally like 380) but if the LX ones can be painted I'm sure that'd be a hella lot cheaper.

Hondastylez

Reaction score
Yes, they can be painted. Sideskirts are just like any other part of your vehicle, Like your bumper or a side mirror.

silverbullet99

Reaction score
ok cool. I'm gunna have to bring it down to the body shop to get a quote now. I wanted to buy one of those pspec short shifters this week but I just got a 250 dollar ticket monday so it looks like the giant stock shifter will be staying for a bit. lol FML

tunerbum147

Reaction score
yea they defiantly can hell you could even do it at your house yourself. scuff it. use special primer for paint to stick to plastic. and then paint it. really all you need to do.

finch13

Reaction score
I'm gonna go ahead and say it has to be more involved than that as the LX sideskirts have a "texture" to them and are not smooth like a bumper would be. I'd sand them smooth or take them to a body shop and see what they say.

dreman

H22-5spd Swapped CG5
Reaction score
I heard from some member a while back that painting them is not easy, not sure a body shop told the member this. I think he just went and bought OEM painted skirts from the dealer to save on cost if I'm correct.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I heard from some member a while back that painting them is not easy, not sure a body shop told the member this. I think he just went and bought OEM painted skirts from the dealer to save on cost if I'm correct.

If you can buy them painted from the dealer, it is probably the best way. I know that it is almost always cheaper to buy things prepainted from honda than buying unpainted and taking it to a body shop.

I don't know if I would recommend DIY painting on this. It is very hard to get excellent results on textured peices. You have to sand it down very well, use alot of primer, etc. That takes alot of time with sanding. Then you are also dealing with urathane on something that is low to the ground. You can't add flex additives correctly and spray paint seems to chip more easily than properly painted automotive paint with flex additive.

sweagle02

Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but do dealerships still carry sideskirts for our cars? They are 7-11 years old

sweagle02

Reaction score
You can still order them, they are hella expensive though.

Dam..I figured. Well this question ties in with the OP topic. Would you recommend getting them painted at a body shop or ordering them painted from the "stealership".

Back