Headlights flickering under heavy acceleration

Tek_Rice

Reaction score
So my headlights flicker under heavy acceleration. It happens during 1st,2nd,3rd gears when it pulls hard. During 4th,5th and 6th gears, it seems ok and no issues.

This occured on a 55w HID setup. Anyone have any ideas? alternator going out?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
can you replicate it with the a/c, rear defrost, etc on full blast?

Sounds (key word "sounds") like the alternator...more specifically the voltage regulator which is built into it.

Tek_Rice

Reaction score
only happens when I gun it in 1-3rd. Happens when I downshift from 6th to 4th and then gunning it as well...

jwong512

Reaction score
Sounds like your alternator is going out and it's relying on the battery to sustain electricity.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Paul, if you didn't upgrade to an Oddy alternator, I would suggest trying that, it does sound like an alternator issue.

Thejasonator

Reaction score
I'm having the same sort of problem but instead of shifting into gears for the lights to go out my light just flicker off and on at random times. The battery lights would also come on when the headlights are out. And when they're out, I would hear a squeaking noise from the engine

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
Paul check the alternator belt. Sometimes they wear out or aren't tight enough and start slipping causing voltage drops.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Sounds like your alternator is going out and it's relying on the battery to sustain electricity.

Alternator. This is EXACTLY what happened to my car when my original alternator died on me. It took about two weeks for it to completely die on me.

It first started as a quick flash of the battery light in my dash. Then later, I started to notice the same problems you were just mentioning. Replaced the alternator and that fixed the problem.

You might also want to change the serpentine/accessory belt while you're at it if you haven't done that in a while.

Back