Heavy duty trunk springs for spoiler

Griffeycom

Reaction score
I've got the OEM spoiler on my 01 Accord Sedan, but when I use the button on the remote to open the trunk it'll unlock but won't pop up. Plus slight wind can make the trunk shut VERY slight wind. I BELIEVE that the spoiler was added post factory and whoever added it didn't bother to put in the heavy duty springs. How can I tell for sure? And if I do have the non-spoiler springs does anyone have the part # for the heavy duty ones? Looking at majestic honda's website I'm assuming the more expensive ones are the heavy duty ones but it doesn't' say for sure.

Thanks!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Wing and non-winged 6GA's use the same springs, you just have to adjust them. You can buy the adjustment tool on HandA accessories.

scrapnav6

Reaction score
^i'd be intrested in said tool also. I have the opposite problem, I took my oem spoiler off and now my trunk flys open when it is opened.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I took my OEM wing off and the trunk opened all the way and when it hit the top it would bounce lightly a couple times, but it wasn’t violent or anything. Then I added a trunk lip spoiler and now it opens half way then falls back down. Which is weird since the trunk slip spoiler isn’t that heavy…and I never adjusted the springs after I took the OEM wing off.

Here’s the tool, it’s $30 for some reason. :ugh:

springtoollarge.jpg

16th item down: http://handa-accessories.com/accext00.html

Griffeycom

Reaction score
I've seen that tool but thought it was only for removal and installation of new springs. It looks like a simple tool that you could make on your own, what do I need to do to adjust them???

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If you look at the current trunk spring and follow the springs to either side of the trunk, you will see that they are in a slot. If you look above/below the slots your springs are currently in (not sure which slot yours are in, but they should be in the bottom if you have an OEM wing), you will see a second set of slots (one per side) that the spring should be adjusted to.

The tool above allows you to safely take the tension off the spring, move it to the desired slot, then put the tension back.

Griffeycom

Reaction score
Thanks, I looked for it real quick but didn't see any slots. I'll look again when I'm done with work for the day and will take pics if necessary.

Griffeycom

Reaction score
Here is a link to some pictures I took. I definitely don't have any other slots to put the springs in.

http://imgur.com/a/UWQxe

I'm positive I have a OEM spoiler too, it has the Accord logo imprinted under it and everything. Does not look aftermarket at all.

Back