help! car dying 5 CEL codes

itzcharlie

Reaction score
i have a 98 accord 4cyl 5spd
i drove the car to school and back and when i was coming back my check engine light came on. I put it in first gear and it seems like it was going to die (shaking a lo) and it did die after a little while. I started it again and it died right after i started i had to give it a little gas for it to start and move.
-Just changed out spark plugs/ wires
-and just got my clutch changed out dont know if that makes a difference

P0304 74 Misfire Cyl. 4 Or Random Misfire
P0300 — Random Misfire
P0302 72 Misfire Cyl. 2 Or Random Misfire
P0301 71 Misfire Cyl. 1 Or Random Misfire
P1399 code also.

dont really know whats wrong :(

001Stunna

Reaction score
What plugs? wires? did you use to replace the old ones.
Did you put a tiny bit of grease on the plug threads and start threading them in by hand until hand tight?
Made sure the boots are properly seated on both distributor cap and on rear end of plugs? made sure plugs were gapped correctly?

P1399
Honda does not supply a diagnostic flow chart for this code. P1399 is a random misfire code and Honda/Acura has reported for various models that this could be caused by clogged EGR ports. In addition there is the possibility that the valve cleareance specification may be out of range.

...id take the new wires off, take out the plugs, check them for any issues, check their gap(0 - 1 .1 mm (0.039 - 0.043 in) and adjust if necessary, and then put them back in(with a tiny bit of grease on the threads and screw on by hand until tight then you can follow to ~13lb/ft if you want to be overly specific). Put the wires back on properly and re-test...if issue occurs again, put old wires on and retest.

In addition check to make sure that you have connected the wires properly...
94886974.gif

Last edited:

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Guessing by your described symptoms I'm going to guess its something to do with the dizzy. Maybe the rotor or some other part in it.

4door accord02

Reaction score
i have a 98 accord 4cyl 5spd
i drove the car to school and back and when i was coming back my check engine light came on. I put it in first gear and it seems like it was going to die (shaking a lo) and it did die after a little while. I started it again and it died right after i started i had to give it a little gas for it to start and move.
-Just changed out spark plugs/ wires
-and just got my clutch changed out dont know if that makes a difference

P0304 74 Misfire Cyl. 4 Or Random Misfire
P0300 — Random Misfire
P0302 72 Misfire Cyl. 2 Or Random Misfire
P0301 71 Misfire Cyl. 1 Or Random Misfire
P1399 code also.

dont really know whats wrong :(

Sorry to bring a thread back from tha dead.... But I'm having your exact issue but also getting code 1249 (vetch solenoid faulty)..... So far I've changed spark plugs/ wires and the distributor cap.... (Rotor wasn't in stock).... And so far having the same issues

Itzcharlie : what did you end up doing to fix this problem???

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
You should pull your VTEC solenoid and check if the screen is clogged. It's really easy to pull. That at least may take care of one issue

4door accord02

Reaction score
You should pull your VTEC solenoid and check if the screen is clogged. It's really easy to pull. That at least may take care of one issue

I was working on the vtech solenoid removal tonight but only got one bolt off!!:Starwars: .so I'll have to keep working on it tommorow... Are the vtech solenoids on v6's easier to remove? Cause I find it a bitc$ to get off!!!

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
On the v6 all u need to do is remove the passenger front wheel and that gives you.perfect access

accord786

Reaction score
Can be the rotor or faulty wires/wire order....

Be carful (4dooraccord02) with the vtec solenoid bolts are fragile I broke one by accident now it leaks drop by drop when ever i drive part of it is stuck inside

Back