help electrical prob

mxjoe388

Reaction score
ok so thought my alternator went so got new one.put it in and started car pulled neg. wire off car dies.new battery new alternator.still does it.where do i go from here?

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
why are you pulling off the negative wire?...it needs to be attached in order to complete the circuit....

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
while the car is on, the battery terminals can be taken off and the car will still run/idle

iono man, sound like a loose alternator wire

mxjoe388

Reaction score
i just put it in tho made sure everything was tight.is there a relay 4 the alternator that maybe went bad?

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
alternators at idle only increase the voltage from 12 to like 14.2...wouldn't everything run real badly on 2-3volts?

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
alternators at idle only increase the voltage from 12 to like 14.2...wouldn't everything run real badly on 2-3volts?

ive driven without my battery completely hooked up. the volt meter said 14ish until i took my foot off the gas, then it dropped for half a second to like .3 (lol) then settled back at 14.

ur car shuts off for 1/4 of a second then turns back on

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
oooh...i see now...i always thought the alternator just added voltage to the system by the 2-3 volts...instead of outputting ~14volts needed to actively charge the battery...that makes sense now...

back on topic tho...double check all your other positive/negative wires...not just the ones on the battery but the ones coming off your fuse box under the hood and other major ground wires...

mxjoe388

Reaction score
ok so whoever told me to check the fuse box ur awsome the negative wire was disconected screw fell out.but now it wont start or anything there has to be a serious draw cuz i charged that battery fully yesterday.
time to search.any suggestions

Back