help needed!

krylonking104

Reaction score
so im driving the other day and my CEL came on... not long after, my dash went real dim and the needles on my guages started fluctuating and tweeking out, my engine started to lose power and started sputtering then finally died. I took out my alternator and tested it...was fine. i checked all my grounds...fine. I replaced my spark plugs and wires about a month and a half ago so that was fine. I replaced both 02 sensors and i still have this prob. the car wont start unless i jump it, but after removing the jumper cables the car shortly dies.... could it be the ELD (electronic load detector)? anyone ever have a similar problem? please help me out! thanks. I had my buddy check the codes and it came back as ELD high voltage and both 02sensor errors....

simon_y

Reaction score
Would the car crank on it's own when you turn the key?

It might be his battery, but then he said that the car dies when the jumpers are removed.........Your car should be able to keep itself running on just the alternator alone without the battery.

Are you sure the alternator is working properly? Did you take it to Auto Zone or Parts Source or some Parts shop so they can run it and check it for you.

Cause it really sounds like your alternator, I could be wrong though. Did you notice your battery light on when the lights started to dim? Your alternator could have died and you were running on your battery which eventually crapped out after a little while driving.

Back