Help please with new/ rebuilt h22a swap burning oil

l1nd3n

Reaction score
So I am burning a lot of oil and barely have 250 miles on my rebuild.
I really don't even smoke that much, I seem to notice it after idling for a little while and the other day I had it smoking pretty good while in 3rd gear accelerating after engine brake.
As meticulous as I was doing everything else, I came up short with break-in. I used synthetic oil for about 50 miles and let it idle too much it sounds like. I switched to vr1 after and still burn the same amount.

Okay, so it was honed, has new rings and bearings, new pcv valve, new valves, guides, seals (didn't visually look prior to installing the head but I provided the parts to the machine shop). Shaved head .005. No oil in coolant. ~225psi on the compression test on all cylinders. Leak down test was okay, I think. I have a crappy one that I got off amazon. Did hear some noise in the intake on cylinder 1 I think it was, should I hear anything at all?
I used all Honda parts.

Adjusted valves at 100 miles.

I would guess it probably has a lot of crankcase pressure since its a higher compression motor, maybe.

Lots of oil on sparkplug in cylinder 1 and possibly some in others.

Used a borescope ($30 on amazon btw and works great) on cylinder 1 and the walls look like they did prior to install, doesn't look like glazed pictures I have seen. Valves are black and looks like there is oil all over piston and cylinder wall (has a wet look to it).

Help please.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Did hear some noise in the intake on cylinder 1 I think it was, should I hear anything at all?

Lots of oil on sparkplug in cylinder 1 and possibly some in others.

Used a borescope ($30 on amazon btw and works great) on cylinder 1 and the walls look like they did prior to install, doesn't look like glazed pictures I have seen. Valves are black and looks like there is oil all over piston and cylinder wall (has a wet look to it).

Some abnormal oil burning during break-in, but...

...your compression seems normal, I think, what's spec?

...black valves, might be fine, need pics!

how'd you size your rings?

Oil ring?

l1nd3n

Reaction score
They are standard sized rings, I saved the boxes and will double check. I'm not really sure what spec pressure is for the type s pistons. I have a Spanish manual with the h22a motor in it, I'll try and find it.
Pics should come soon. I had to order an adapter for my phone so I can plug the borescope into it instead of my wife's work laptop.
thanks for the reply.

l1nd3n

Reaction score
No bore, just hone. I double checked the rings and they are standard. I followed the manual on aligning them. I'm supposed to get the adapter for my phone today and hopefully can snag a few pics this evening.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
ah...****e...

Normal piston rings you need to place in the bore, with a piston, to measure/size the gap...

That FRM thing you can't bore, afaik, so then piston rings might be sized correctly.

Basically, I'm confused there.

You should have decent compression rings, because you get compression, which returns to the oil ring.

black valves is normal, but black chunks on valves is bad something...

It still points to oil rings, but disconnect PCV system for now, run the hose to a 20oz pop bottle. Drive like normal, see if the oil empties through PCV or past the pistons.

l1nd3n

Reaction score
I got a bunch of videos and pictures tonight. Not sure how to post with my cell phone and its past bed time. Walls have distinct hatch marks. There are a couple vertical lines, one could catch a little light but seem shallow. There was a piece of metal depris it looked like too. Evidently wasn't magnetic so I guess it's part of the block or wall. I'll try and get stuff posted tomorrow.

l1nd3n

Reaction score
20150212_211844.jpg]

20150212_232100.gif]

20150212_214028.gif]

20150212_213031.gif]

20150212_193932.jpg]

Not sure why videos are cut. I'll have to wait until I can use a real computer not a cell phone.

Last edited:

l1nd3n

Reaction score
I used compressed air and a magnet to get what i saw out. I also got a catch can hooked up on pcv system. The spark plug does look better than it did, before I romped on it for a while the tip of the plug was staying black even. Now, it's closer to what it should be. I may just put a link to the album with all the pis and vids I took. The borescope is great but it has its limits as far as focusing upclose.

Back