Help please with new/ rebuilt h22a swap burning oil

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure. My borescope 'auto' focuses, and half the screen is dead, so I never use it anyway :p

It does help for this.

How quick is the catch-can filling? I've always been a bit suspicious of our PCV valve.

l1nd3n

Reaction score
So far not a drop. Looking down in the pcv port it's got limited oil in it, I was hoping that would be it. Not that lucky though.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
If the pvc is empty, there's no oil caused by blow by

so if oil doesn't go in the top, it must go in the bottom...

...which would be oil rings. I'd give it another 750miles to break those in and see how your doing. The bores look mostly fine though...

you now how honing works, right? You hone it to make it peaky, then you drive it so the piston/rings can smooth it, creating a nice seal. Before it is smoothed you have a bit of sealing problems, but if you smooth it too much, well you get the old look, with vertical scratches. I do not see much for vertical lines, so I'd just drive, for the other parts to seal, and keep an eye on oil consumption on the go.

l1nd3n

Reaction score
Yeah I get the general concept, I have only really known about the purpose of honing for a few weeks though since I started consuming oil. Started reading about proper breakin and I think I scared myself reading about cylinder glazeing.
This is my first engine to ever build so I was kind of frantic making sure I followed directions properly. I guess I can update my build thread now. I was wanting to have a good step by step for the 6th gen obd2 swap.
Thanks for all the follow ups. Glad I didnt get a bunch of people telling me to use the search function. I will update once the oil usage dies down or I determine something else.
ThE other issues I have are voltage going from 12 to 14, It is annoying seeing my headlights dim and brigthen at night, not sure why it does this.
That and my fuel injectors appear to leak a bit. When starting the car I have to wait untIL the fuel pump turns off to start it and a light fuel odor with it. On my second new set of seals. One of the few things that's not honda brand.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
"voltage going from 12 to 14"

alternator is cutting out. Check positive wire -AND- engine ground
rarely is it actually the alt, but if it all looks good, pull it so places like Advance Auto can check it out

"fuel injectors appear to leak"

I can't remember if it has injector clips or not, only do this with them!
pull rail, leave injectors & clips in! also leave fuel lines on
cycle key to build pressure. not crank! just run!
which drips?

sometimes you can fix those by using carb cleaner. sometimes. I built a 'tool' with a spare tank (hold cleaner) with a spare pump (pressure) and a line (pump -> hot-wired injector, dumps where it sucks)

If they have no clip you may get off with some heavy duty zip ties. Use caution!

Last edited:
Back