help putting belt back onto the alternator

crookx

Reaction score
just replaced the alternator in my AV6. I have it back in place
although the last job left is to get the belt back onto the alternator.
Is there a special tool that is used for this? Any ideas?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
If you have a belt tensioner, im not sure if the v6's do. They have a bolt on there you can attach a socket and racket too to slip the belt over.

You want to thread the belt around all the accesories first, then around the tensioner, the tensioner can be pulled down with a socket and racket and then slip the belt over.

cl206

Reaction score
Im assuming you loosened the belt tensioner correctly to remove the old belt in the first place right? You didn't just cut the belt ?!?!

You need to route the new belt correctly maybe using this tool:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...&group_ID=1557&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

and then wrap it around the tensioner last, after you loosen it with a 14mm wrench of some kind.
On the v6, you pull up on the tensioner, like counterclock wise. But wait, how did you get the old belt off?

Last edited:

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
belt tensioning bolt.. howd you get it off.. just loosen the alternator first? Or if you're feeling lazy you can use a pry bar.

crookx

Reaction score
alright thanks guys finally figured out how to put it back. I got the belt out when i took off the alternator first and slipped out the belt.

finch13

Reaction score
Im assuming you loosened the belt tensioner correctly to remove the old belt in the first place right? You didn't just cut the belt ?!?!

You need to route the new belt correctly maybe using this tool:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...&group_ID=1557&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

and then wrap it around the tensioner last, after you loosen it with a 14mm wrench of some kind.
On the v6, you pull up on the tensioner, like counterclock wise. But wait, how did you get the old belt off?

Yeah... that tool is for V-belts....

OP, there is a belt tensioner. All you need is a 3/8" ratchet or 14/15mm wrench to swing the tensioner up and put the belt on.

cl206

Reaction score
OP, I prefer the 14mm wrench b/c I find it impossible to get a normal or even a slim ratchet to fit into that little space for the V6. Also, I don't know if you finished the job, but it really helps to loosen the bolt that holds the power steering fluid and then wiggle that out of the way so you can get more leverage.

Last edited:

crookx

Reaction score
OP, I prefer the 14mm wrench b/c I find it impossible to get a normal or even a slim ratchet to fit into that little space for the V6. Also, I don't know if you finished the job, but it really helps to loosen the bolt that holds the power steering fluid and then wiggle that out of the way so you can get more leverage.

yeah the little space was pissing me off lol but i finally got it back on thanks for the advice guys. lol sorry for being such a noob

cl206

Reaction score
Alright! Good to hear it. I usually find something weird that complicates the job when working on cars.

Back