Hesitant/Misfire/Running like crap

bagoon316

Reaction score
So I threw some codes last week.

I was throwing the 2 codes for O2 Sensor #1, which is the A/F sensor. And also threw the EGR code.

The CEL also flashes occasionally meaning its a misfire, I'm assuming caused by those two codes. I cant get to work on it till Fri Night/Sat Morning. I tried SeaFoam last Saturday, and cleaning the EGR best I could. Reading through the DIY I know that the port between the plenum and runners gets clogged pretty bad. Just hoping in your guys' opinion if my list of repairs, is going to be sufficient enough. I'm about tired of the issues, I never had issues with my old 93, these "sophisticated" cars are to darn sophisticated.

Background: 122,xxx miles roughly, EX ULEV, 5 spd.

Parts on Order/Received from Honda:
-Plenum I/M Gasket
-EGR Gasket
-IACV Gasket
-Throttle Body Gasket
-Dizzy Cap and Rotor

Parts on Order/Received in General:
-NGK Spark Plug wires
-NGK Plugs
-Denso A/F Sensor #1 (Manifold/Header)
-Denso O2 Sensor #2 (CAT)
-Intake Air Filter

Just replaced PCV when I did my oil change and seafoam. Might change oil again, because I can smell how rich it's running.

Weekend activity:
Take plenum and TB off, clean plenum, EGR passage, TB, and IACV, and replace gaskets, put back together. Change Dizzy Cap and Rotor, new plugs/wires, new air filter.

Will that list help solve my issues. Its basically an over glorified tune up. I've had modified Accords, and a WRX and never had issues like this, and this car is bone stock. Annoying as all hell.

Thanks fellas. Hope you all are well, I know I dont come on as much as I'd like, but I'm still rocking my sticker on my 1/4 windows lol!

bagoon316

Reaction score
Well just wanted to say, this is the smoothest the car has ever run.

Cleaning the upper plenum, IACV, and EGR/Port was the best thing this car needed. Idle sits right at 750ish, never drops below and recovers. I'm expecting some decent gas mileage on this tank.

Should have taken pictures, but I wanted it done Friday night after work. The TB and upper plenum looked new on the inside. I havent replaced the plugs, air intake filter, or secondary O2 yet, but everything else has been changed. Best $250-$300 investment to date.

Slowfinger

Reaction score
I was going to say maybe the timing belt skipped a tooth, but it looks like you nailed it! :) Was it hard to clean out the EGR valve, lots of carbon? Can you move the plunger up and down easy? Thinking of doing it to mine, but first I got to figure out why I have a knocking sound at 2000 rpm when the engine is at normal operating temp. :skurred:

bagoon316

Reaction score
I didnt move the plunger of the EGR valve, I just took carb cleaner and a lil brush and cleaned out the EGR. The part that gets clogged is the little crevice in the upper plenum leading to the port down the runners to the EGR. What I did was taped off the EGR side, and sprayed carb cleaner in the port hole, and took the same brush and scrubbed it out. The best thing to do after that is prop a towel up and take a compressor and blow it out into the towel. I didnt have that so I took a shop vac and put a straw on it, and sucked out all the debris, and did that same process 3x. Then cleaned out the entire upper plenum with carb cleaner and a sponge.

I pretty much followed the DIY in the Master section of the forum. It has how to clean the EGR port/valve. The whole job of replacing all those parts listed took about 4-5 hours. But I was eating and drinking beer, and took my time. I was in no rush.

Back