Hesitation and loss of power (10-20%) at exactly 3.3k RPM under hard acceleration.

Sedare

Reaction score
Topic pretty much says it. If I casually accelerate, I feel that hesitation only in 1st and 2nd gear, when I drive it harder, I feel it also in 3rd and 4th. Never felt it in 5th. It gets less noticable the higher gear I am in, but either way, it is there in every gear.

The CEL is on, but that is the "Fuel to lean or strong" CEL. I am fixing my laptop to check the codes in a day or 2, but I know that my car has been doing this for a couple years, but I just now traced it to a specific RPM.

Is something wrong with Vtec? I am really just guessing here. No idea why its doing it.

BTW I drive a 1998 Accord LX 2.3 5spd.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
Re: Hesitation and loss of power (10-20%) at exactly 3.3k RPM under hard acceleration

vtek oil.....

and why do u need to fix your laptop to pull the code....? just use the paperclip trick...

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Re: Hesitation and loss of power (10-20%) at exactly 3.3k RPM under hard acceleration

Clogged cat ? What's your laptop got to do with pulling codes ?

Sedare

Reaction score

I use an OBD2 program on my laptop to pull and reset codes. Its free, and its what I use on a number of different cars because I dont want to learn how to pull codes manually on whatevercar I need to do it on. I plug it in and read it and done. Seems like a much simpler way then using a paper clip (Which I have done before).

Vtec oil? What do you mean by that?

Clogged cat? like... carbon buildup?

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score

Oil level is low...car goes in limp mode aka no vtek

Sedare

Reaction score

Dipstick reads normal.
Could it be that I am running mobil 1 full synthetic 5/20?

komodomoe

Reaction score

I would test the VTEC solenoid

Sedare

Reaction score

Put more oil into engine, just above the 2nd dot on the dip stick, test drove it, hesitation went away. Its like I found out why the hesitation was there, but the VTEC still isnt working? Then I parked it over night, and the hesitation came back, but instead of at 3.3k, its 3.8k in only 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears.

This is confusing.

Jevik

Reaction score

My guess is Vtec solenoid filter screen. Remove the 3 bolts holding the solenoid on and clean that screen

Back