Hesitation when VTEC Engages

RallyMachine

Reaction score
So I recently did an oil change on my F23 and changed from Castrol GTX High Mileage to Mobil 1 Synthetic High Mileage (both 10w-30). I also added half a bottle of Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer.

Basically what's happening is in first gear my engine will rev up and when VTEC engages it sort of cuts out and jerks but finally kicks in. This only happens in first gear though, I think because of how fast the revs increase relative to the other gears.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any suggestions? I'm thinking it might be the stabilizer but I didn't eve add the recommended amount (whole bottle)... Also, adding the stabilizer did give me a slight excess in oil level over the top dot on the dip stick.

Thanks guys.

jwong512

Reaction score
How many miles have you driven on it? Was the compression on the car low before you put the stabilizer in? The stabilizer usually just thickens the oil and prevents leaks around seals therefore causing the compression to go up. I wouldn't use it unless the compression was really low on the motor and you were just trying to buy some time.

chaby_91

Reaction score
You switched from regular oil to synthetic after 10+ years? If I were you I'd pray for all the rubber seals in your engine not to leak.

G'sAccord01

Reaction score
^^ I could feel when vtec engaged in my gray accord. Can't tell anymore. not sure if its due to my setup or if its even setup to engage. Didn't get a full tune

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
i cant feel or hear anything, unless im going really slow then WOT in 3rd at like 20, right around 2700. its not fast or anything, but you can hear it change slightly

RallyMachine

Reaction score
How many miles have you driven on it? Was the compression on the car low before you put the stabilizer in? The stabilizer usually just thickens the oil and prevents leaks around seals therefore causing the compression to go up. I wouldn't use it unless the compression was really low on the motor and you were just trying to buy some time.

Ive driven probably 400 miles on the new oil. I've used other additives before and never had this issue, first time with the lucas though.

You switched from regular oil to synthetic after 10+ years? If I were you I'd pray for all the rubber seals in your engine not to leak.

The castrol gtx high mileage switched to part synthetic a year or two ago so its not like I jumped right into synthetic.

I find it hard to believe you actually feel when vtec engages...its not boost, you barely feel anything at all.

Normally I can't either, only in 2nd can I barely hear it kick in. but with the problem I'm having the transition isn't smooth any more.

i cant feel or hear anything, unless im going really slow then WOT in 3rd at like 20, right around 2700. its not fast or anything, but you can hear it change slightly

Pretty sure the f23s vtec only engages at around 5500 every time cause it doesn't have iVTEC which can change the engagement point.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
Ours is variable...

Check the screen on the vtec solenoid and go from there.

AccordUser

Reaction score
IMO, ive been doing the high mileage castrol 10w-30 after my car reached 150,000. never had a problem. for future reference, if something doesn't give you problems, dont go experimenting, its a honda, it doesnt like science too much!

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Like Ryan said check your vtec solenoid screen and clean if needed. Very easy to do and you don't need to drain the oil first.

Also check you catalytic converter for clogs

Back