High Flow Catalytic Converter

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
I have a high flow cat with my magnaflow cat back and its not loud at all unless im accelerating hard. Why would you not be able to pass emmisions with a high flow cat?

Because they have less substrate, which results in less surface area to react with the pollutants. Thereby allowing more pollutants through. This will cause you to fail emissions test, because you are emitting more pollutants than the tolerable limit by law.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^Nice post on the first page, Alex.

Let me know where you end up getting one, Derek. I may follow suit.

Jefe02

Reaction score
Because they have less substrate, which results in less surface area to react with the pollutants. Thereby allowing more pollutants through. This will cause you to fail emissions test, because you are emitting more pollutants than the tolerable limit by law.

Right but whenever I get inspection they just plug in the obdII scanner and if there are no codes I should be fine right?

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Right but whenever I get inspection they just plug in the obdII scanner and if there are no codes I should be fine right?

It depends on your state. Some places do a sniff test. Basically they put a sensor on the end of your exhaust and measure what your putting out. I'm glad WV doesn't do emissions testing...my cat has a rattle, so I'm pretty sure some of the substrate has broken off.

On a side note: If they try to do a sniff test when the car is cold, don't let them. Catalytic converters are only effective after they've heated up.

Jefe02

Reaction score
Ok gottcha. I should be fine because the guy who inspects my car is cool and overlooks stuff like my illegal tint.

SykVSyx

Reaction score

It depends on your state. Some places do a sniff test. Basically they put a sensor on the end of your exhaust and measure what your putting out. I'm glad WV doesn't do emissions testing...my cat has a rattle, so I'm pretty sure some of the substrate has broken off.

On a side note: If they try to do a sniff test when the car is cold, don't let them. Catalytic converters are only effective after they've heated up.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Let me know where you end up getting one, Derek. I may follow suit.

Will do, Chris. They are pretty reasonably priced, and I don't think it has to be some high end aftermarket one, so as soon as I confirm some of the info that Alex posted about on the first page, I will let you know.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Cool. I actually looked recently, Dynomax, Vibrant, Magnaflow and others all make one. I think the Magnaflow one is around $130 though, whereas some others I've seen are under $100. But they do need to be somewhat close to OEM in terms of the substrate as Alex said. Hope that info won't be too hard to come by in your search, good luck.

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Cool. I actually looked recently, Dynomax, Vibrant, Magnaflow and others all make one. I think the Magnaflow one is around $130 though, whereas some others I've seen are under $100. But they do need to be somewhat close to OEM in terms of the substrate as Alex said. Hope that info won't be too hard to come by in your search, good luck.

Magnaflow would be my recommendation. I know they're probably a bit pricier, but it's a very reputable company and they're EPA compliant so you know your getting a product that will pass emissions and provide you with a bit better flow.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Hmm the link I found a couple days ago must've been wack. The Dynomax was listed at like $70.

Back