Holy Fcuk.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
I could cause it to not start back up. On the 99 I had after it cut off, usually it wouldn't start back up right away. I had to wait a few min. But when it did start it would idle rough for a little while.

I would suggest removing the ignition switch if you have the means and check it for the burnt contacts.

If the recall was already done this is probably not the problem though.

tnguyen600

Reaction score
Everything seems to be ok now as far as starting the car up. What really concerned me was the fact that the car shut down as i was driving...real hazard to me and others on the road.

I was told by my buddy that I could've damaged one or two of the
"veins" on the torque converter or something. Im really concerned for the torque converter/transmission.

He said that I should've bled the lines after I installed the transcooler. Air bubbles will do damage?

Bowzer

Reaction score
I don't think the tranny is causing the shut off. When mine blew it only affected the drivetrain vs anything in the ignition. You should feel drivetrain probs and maybe some throw some codes on the CEL, but not ignition failure.

I'm su****ious of your ignition switch. Even if you had the recall done, your episode mimicks exactly what some have had with the faulty switch. Take a look at it!

poff1986

Reaction score
Could be main relay, ignitor or coil issue, does it have to sit for a while before you can restart it?

tnguyen600

Reaction score
I had to let the car sit like 5-10 minutes before it would start back up again. Perhaps not enough trans fluid causes the torque converter to die out hence the stalling?

Erik G

Reaction score
i still say the relay. i had the same exact syptoms. after letting it sit, it would start again. if it is the ignition, you should be able to jiggle it around and get it to start, without waiting the 5-10 minutes. yes, it's very dangerous on the freeway, I was in the fast lane when it happened to me, and had to get all the way to the right, quick. I'll admit it, i was scurred.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
I was driving today, then all the sudden my engine and car dies on my as im driving. What could be the problem? I recently installed my trans cooler if that helps. I also added 3/4 of a quart of atf.

When it shuts off, the lights come back on as if the key was in the on position. brakes were unable to be pushed down, and i could barely steer. When i tried to start it again, it would start. It would crank over.

Ideas? This car is starting to piss me off...:squintfinger:

I had this same problem with my car, I was driving on the interstate and the car just died, everything died gauges, radio, engine. Apparently there was a factory recall on the ignition switch for the 98 accord lx I4 Auto sedan. I found that the easiest and cheapest way to fix this is to loop your keyring over the key and to the front. Hope this helps :thumbup:

Latest posts

Back