Hood Gap

james'99

Reaction score
Another question, if I replace the hood with one from a coupe that had a V6 would the hydraulic hood support things that the V6s have bolt right on or would I have to modify something under the hood for them to work?

I can't tell which shade that is. Maybe a little bit of sandpaper on the finer side?

Also, the V6 hood dampers are over-rated and suck in the cold. And the hood doesn't go nearly as high as it would on the four cylinder. Stick to simplicity!

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
Well that's a bummer i think they look so much nicer and I have to go to work now so it will be tomorrow at the earliest before I can sand it down a bit. I have some 600 and 2000 grit sand paper which would be better to use so I don't destroy the red paint?

james'99

Reaction score
Well that's a bummer i think they look so much nicer and I have to go to work now so it will be tomorrow at the earliest before I can sand it down a bit. I have some 600 and 2000 grit sand paper which would be better to use so I don't destroy the red paint?

You might not make much progress with 2000. Go easy with the 600. And yeah, I like the idea of the dampers too but I like being able to have my hood completely vertical when needed.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Yea need a bigger section of good paint to get a decent look.

I swapped out my dead OEM hood struts for a pair of Monroe's from RockAuto and they are awesome, I lift the hood to a certain point and the struts take over and launch it lol.

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
Do the Monroes open further than the OEMs did? And is there anything that would need modified to make the struts fasten to the rest of the car or would they just bolt right on?

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I was trying to find that but was having a hard time finding it using my phone. (the website and my phone don't usually play nice) The hood side of the conversion would already be taken care of if I got a hood from a V6 but I would either have to rig up a mount where it attaches to the fenders or get V6 fenders if they would even fit.

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
Upon further investigation I noticed that the hood struts don't mount to the fenders but next to them. I also noticed the holes on the sides of the hood where the struts would mount are threaded which led me to believe the hood may have been from a car with a V6, but i looked on my 98 and it also has the threads. I was under the impression that the L4s didn't have the nut welded inside the hood. Maybe the 01 and 02 accords didn't have the treads, but the earlier ones did.

Last edited:

Sino

Reaction score
Looking at part numbers for sedans, there is no difference between 4 and 6cyl hoods. The only difference is for the facelift model years starting in '01. Coupes show the same part number for the hood throughout all five model years. I can think of a couple possibilities. Either there were different hoods for I4/V6 from the factory (a stupid idea IMO) and Honda at some point began carrying just the one, or maybe these hoods without the welded nut are aftermarket crash parts. I'll go check mine if it ever stops raining.

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
My thought was maybe they removed it for the 01 and 02 cars just like they removed the level inside the headlights.

Back