Hood strut for 4cyl

imprimus

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've been a creeper on the boards for a little while, but haven't had anything to post till now.

So, when I bought my Accord (99 LX Coupe 4cyl) it was in decent condition, but missing the hood prop. I looked around for a replacement without any luck, and finally decided to just deal with it as it was. I recently moved to Oklahoma, (where the winds are, in general, much higher than my native Illinois), and every time I get under the hood I fear falling-hood-induced decapitation. Or at least a really nasty bump on the head. Don't have room in the shop at the moment, either.

So anyway, I'm finally getting serious about getting some kind of hood support and saving my head from possible removal/concussion. I was wondering if something like this: http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Honda/Accord/Stabilus/Lift_Support/1999/LX/4_Cyl_2-dot-3L/S2SG326010.html would actually work without modification/addition of mountings. I checked, and the product doesn't come with any special mountings, just the cylinder and the mounting studs.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
people have fitted the v6 hood struts onto their 4 cylinders, the one guy that i can think of right now is russianred, search for his threads, i think he made one on this. you would have to fab up the mounts and such though, so there is a little custom touch you would have to do.

or you could always just go to the dealer and buy a hood prop.

mr. smith

Reaction score
hey whats up welcome! you wouldnt happen to be the guy i met at 7-11 on rockwell would you?

imprimus

Reaction score
Russianred: Awesome! That's exactly what I needed to see, thanks! I was extrapolating from the pictures on your post before. Oklahoma isn't a bad place aside from the weather, I'm enjoying it out here :)

mr. smith:
Nope, haven't been on Rockwell in a long time, and I don't think I went by the 7-11 when I was last there. However, I note that your car is both exactly the same color as mine and appears to have the same, or very similar rims. So, kudos for having an awesome car. ;)

mr. smith

Reaction score
haha thanks! do you go out any on the weekends? ifo is this weekend as well if it doesnt rain and me and my friend are goin. if you wanna join you are more than welcome.

Back