Horn doesn't work

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Ever since I have owned the car I cannot get the horn to work. I can get the horn to make its usually horn noise when I have the wheel taken apart and I ground it out on something, but when I put it all back together and press on my steering wheel to get the horn to sound it doesn't. Can anyone upload a picture behind their airbag of something like that? Or what I should check first to see why it won't work?

schmiddr2

Reaction score
The horn is activated by a switch, maybe bad. Or maybe the cable reel. Does your CC work? Diagram linked.

Attachments

• 98 horn wiring.pdf
    33.3 KB · Views: 60

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Honestly have no idea if my CC works because I pulled it out of my car lol. When I had it in I don't think it worked. I'm thinking it's my switch that's bad.

RawCarnage

Reaction score
Is your srs light on? My horn doesn't work either, or any controls on my steering wheel. The cause is the clock spring. I have to replace mine. Maybe your having the same problem also.

james'99

Reaction score
I'd test the relay and then check the switch with a multimeter at the relay checking for voltage at the input pole.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
The relay works because the horn works when he grounds the horn switch connection.

You can check the clock spring by setting your meter to continuity and checking the wire going into and out of the clock spring are continuous (use the PDF I linked as a guide to find the correct color wire, or us a meter). To check the switch, make sure it is grounded on one terminal and the other end makes a solid connection to the plug/terminals. Then check continuity from one wire to the other while activating the switch.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I bet the horn is dead, it has one wire, put the wire to a test light, other end gnd.

Light up when you hit the button?

Get a new horn.

lamontlamont

Reaction score
If it works when you ground the wire directly to a metal part, that means the switch inside the airbag is faulty. The switch is actually this membrane that is built into the front cover of the airbag. You can not buy the membrane so you have to replace the airbag. Another option is to drill two holes near the edge of the air bag's plastic housing and install switches. You can use these switches to operate the horn. If you decide to buy a replacement airbag, I suggest you buy a used one taken from an accord because there are faulty aftermarket bags out there that will blow up in your face. A used airbag is around sixty bucks on ebay but just make sure you buy the same brand. What I mean is, if it says hitachi, get a hitachi, if it says matusi, get a matusi, if it says elephanttoenail, get an elephanttoenail. To take off the airbag just put a t30 torx driver in the hole under the removable plastic tabs on either side of the steering wheel. The bag just pulls right out. Make sure that battery has been unplugged for 30min before you do that though or your srs light will come on or the bag could, although unlikely, blow up in your face. After you replace it, plug the battery back in and it should work fine.

By the way, I didn't want to spend money on my broken horn so I drilled holes and installed switches. If you tell me how to upload pictures directly, I can post the pictures from start to finish.

Last edited:

Jordan_H

Reaction score
I guess I'll go to the local junkyard and I'm sure they'll let me trade in my airbag for a new one since I know the owners. Hopefully that solves the problem. Just have to find a 98-00 with the airbag still intact and in the color I need. Thanks everyone

Back